The results of the Election for Executive positions.

Following the 2009 AGM the results of the election for Executive positions was announced with Bruce Andersen named as Chairman and Robert Grubisa as VC Technical.

The balance of the positions were either uncontested or there were no nominations. The uncontested nominations were David Turton (Treasurer), Olivier Cohen (VC Events), Pedro Egea (VC Infocomms) and Barry Fox (Secretary). There was no candidate for VC Measurement.

Subsequently, there was some question concerning the allocation of votes that was applied for countries that held multiple electoral votes. There was also discussion about what rules actually governed how those votes should be applied. Continue reading

Exec Update

Technical

The AGM resolutions that require RSD ratification are with the Exec for proof reading, they’ll be sent shortly.

Events

Bruce and the ESC are busy with arrangements for the Worlds 2009 in Barbados. An application for 2011 has been received from GBR and looks very promising. I’m hopeful that it’ll be accepted reasonably soon.

World Council

Despite the fact that we seem to have only just completed an AGM, another is looming! The ESC is arranging a date during the Worlds to hold this year’s AGM, notice will go out soon but it’s worth starting to think about resolutions now. It’s also worth remembering that the Executive Officers positions are due for election this year. I’d be very pleased to see some competition for the Exec jobs and I’m very keen to seen each Exec Officers role filled with someone motivated to make a contribution.

The various sub committees are also under staffed, let the VCs know if you feel you can help out.

Andy Stevenson
GBR 1779
IOMICA Chairman

Exec Update

It’s been some time since I last wrote, frankly there hasn’t been much to say & I’m not sufficiently time rich to write a monthly missive about nothing.

Bruce and the ESC continue to work with CRO towards getting everything in place for the Europeans and it’s shaping up well.

The Exec are discussing the format for this years AGM, the consensus if for an electronic format. Details will follow.

The fact that the Exec and World Council are quiet would suggest that the majority of IOM owners are content with the Class as it is. The individuals that contact me, however, seem to have a different view; apparently there are issues that the class really ought to address and IOMICA is here to address them.

There have been a number of issues that I’ve thought to be of particular interest and have brought to the attention of the various sub committees, however it has been the opinion of the majority of the Exec that without input from owners, via the World Council, there is no mandate for action. This is, after all, how an ICA works, on behalf of its members, if those members aren’t asking for anything then they must be happy.

I don’t necessarily agree with this position, but again, it’s a situation at the control of our members; if there are issues you think the Exec needs to address then start making some noise.

Those among you that do think action is needed, talk to your sailing buddies, gather some support and contact you NCA / NCS. The AGM is coming up & now is the time to address the issues that concern you.

Andy Stevenson
IOMICA Chairman

Exec update

Events

The ESC has accepted the bid for the 2008 European Championships from CRO and we’re looking forward to an excellent event.

The IOMICA CCR are in the process of being updated with the changes from the AGM and will be released shortly.

There are other events around the world that are open to international competitors; Malta, Spain and France have all recently announced dates as well as most NCA national championships welcoming international entrants. The Exec wishes them all the very best for their events.

For more information try these links:
http://www.mmba.moonfruit.com/
http://www.classe1metre.org/
http://www.velarc.es/metro/2008/02/01/copa-de-espana-2008/

The Exec is looking into the possibility of bring information about such events together in one place, via an additional events page on the IOMICA website.

Disappointingly, we are still suffering from a terrible lack of feedback from the World Championships. Neither competitors nor organisers seem willing to offer their opinions. You must have opinions, we’d love to hear them, please get in touch.

Technical

Questions have been asked about the legality of the recent Emergency Class Rule Change; the TSC is considering the situation and will respond shortly.

Opinions have been solicited from the World Council on the way forward for dealing with similar Class Rules anomalies (battery indicators and rig fittings spring to mind immediately), as yet the response has been limited. Hopefully more opinions will be forthcoming.

The TSC is also taking another look at the question of batten reinforcement at the leech. Something that has been raised previously and discussed at length within the Exec. Unfortunately a conclusion failed to emerge from those discussions and the question remains open. The TSC may well solicit opinions in due course.

Measurement

Another recurring question is that of who should retain measurement forms, Registrars or Owners. Some of the larger NCAs are beginning to struggle with paper overload apparently. The MSC is considering the question. Again, opinions may well be solicited in due course.

Andy Stevenson
GBR 1779
IOMICA Chairman

Exec Update

General
David T has been able to contact Rob O’Brian and we’re hopeful that he will take up the Secretary’s position in the near future. Thank you to those people that offered to take on the role, or help out in the interim. It’s good to see people willing to take part & pick up the baton. Please give thought to offering your services on a Sub Committee.

Events
Bruce has confirmed that Greg Willis will take up a position on the ESC. This is great news, I’m particularly pleased that the Exec will continue to benefit from Greg’s input. Our regulations limit the number of SC positions to 4, so there’s still room to accommodate a few more willing bodies.

Despite chasing, the ESC has still to receive event reports from the Worlds. This isn’t going away and we will continue to push YCPR. There has also been little response to the request for thoughts and observations from competitors and others involved. I can’t believe that nobody has opinions they want to share?

Technical
There has been an anomaly or two crop up with the Class Rules and Roy has attempted to get the feelings of owners and the World Council, again with little in the way of response. There is however a proposal for a Class Rule change to accommodate the Spektrum receiver with the World Council, hopefully we’ll be able to draw a line under that issue soon.

My Thoughts
It’s unlikely that we’re going to get much movement on any of our outstanding issues with such a limited response from owners and the World Council in the run up to Christmas, perfectly understandable. I’m sure we’ll pick up again in the New Year.

Merry Christmas one and all, may 2008 bring you all you desire.

Andy Stevenson
GBR 1779
IOMICA Chairman

Exec Update

Things have become a little hectic since the World Championships, a consequence of this has been a lack of Exec updates from me. I apologise, it had been my intention to continue them as Chairman and I will endeavour to do better from now on.

The Exec has been attempting a smooth change over, not too difficult a task as the Vice Chairmen all retain their roles, unfortunately, while Rob O’Brian has been invited on to the Exec as Secretary, he’s yet to take up the post.

The minutes of the AGM are in process, if a little delayed, we’ll publish them shortly.

Bruce has been busy trying to get some feedback from Marseille, unfortunately with little joy, particularly in attempting to chase for the event reports. This is an important exercise and the Exec will continue to push the organisers for their reports. Feedback from competitors is equally useful, Please let Bruce, or any member of the Exec have your thoughts, either via the forum or a PM or email.

He has also requested interested parties contact him with a view to serving on the Events Sub Committee. I would urge anyone with an interest to contact him; the ESC has a lot it can achieve with some willing volunteers.

Indeed both the Technical & Measurement Sub Committees are a few bodies shy of the required membership, please contact the appropriate VC, or any member of the Exec if you have a desire to serve.

Roy has asked for opinions on materials for mast fittings in the public forum. Please make your views known, if you’re not comfortable responding publicly you can always PM or email Roy, or myself, directly.

The Malta Model Boat Association has released the NoR for their first international open meeting, the venue certainly looks impressive! The Exec wishes Vinnie and his team every success.

Andy Stevenson
GBR 1779
IOMICA Chairman

Exec Update July 2007

World Council

Preparations for the AGM continue, as yet there have been no submissions for resolutions and the list of Exec nominations remains incomplete.

Measurement

[None]

Technical

[None]

Events

Standard Sailing Instructions for the World Championships have been finalized and forwarded to YCPR. Stage 1 & 2 competitor allocation has been completed and we’re still working on umpiring instructions.

Infocomms

The website has been updated to reflect the progress of Resolutions and Exec nominations for the forthcoming AGM. This page will be updated regularly as nominations & resolutions come in.

Andy Stevenson
GBR 1779
IOMICA Secretary

Exec Update June 2007

World Council

All the annual reports are in except one. A campaign of chasing will begin shortly!

The AGM this year will be held at the World Championships in Marseille, the 18th or 19th has been suggested but is subject to confirmation.

Assuming the above, timescales are as follows:

  • AGM resolutions / Exec nominations due by 09 August 2007
  • A notice of meeting & final agenda will then be released by 23 August 2007
  • Each NCA must advise its voting strength by 20 September 2007

An announcement will follow in due course once venue & dates have been finalised, but it would be prudent for those with resolutions to propose or a desire to serve on the Exec to start getting themselves organised.

Measurement

It has been pointed out that there’s a typo in the new Rig measurement form. A revision is available for download from the web site. My apologies for the slip up.

Technical

[None]

Events

[None]

Infocomms

[None]

Andy Stevenson
GBR 1779
IOMICA Secretary