Naming competition for new BAG

Post "For sale" and "Wanted" notices
nick lin

Naming competition for new BAG

Post by nick lin » 09 Aug 2004, 16:57

The url below links to some pictures of the newest model BAG under construction. This will have a beam of 221mm (#45 was 225mm) and should be sailing by the time #45 is sold.

Because the name BAG (which is actually an acronym of the designers) lacks a little something, we have decided that BAG BOATS will be the brand name and an item name will have to be chosen for the model.

We are thinking Mercury but we thought that it might be a good idea to leave it open for discussion. The winner will win a brand new set of professionaly made "A" rig sails (36 micron, clear), postage paid.

Naturally we are appealing to those with a sense of taste and decorum which rules out names starting with four letter words.

Ideally the name should link to other names as other models are developed. Mercury for example is a planet, but has the drawback that "Earth" - a hypothetical 3rd generation - doesn't do much (for us anyway). And as for "Pluto", well Disney has really spoilt it totally.

Send your suggestions to calendarsETC@lycos.com, or - if the moderator allows - put your 20 cents worth after this post.

http://home.bytesite.com.au/~nick/newbagthumbnails.html

Regards

Nick Lindsley

Bruce Andersen
USA NCA Officer
Sail number: USA 16
Club: Famous Potatoes Sailing Club
Design: Brit Pop

Post by Bruce Andersen » 10 Aug 2004, 05:11

I think you are perfectly set up for a series of names already eg. lunch BAG, plastic BAG, trash BAG, etc.

Dan Crowley

Post by Dan Crowley » 11 Aug 2004, 16:04

A synonym for bag, as in, "What's your bag?" is addiction, or habit...which I suffer from re: IOM sailing.

Synonyms for addiction, and potential brand names: bent, craving, dependence, enslavement, fixation, hang-up, hook, inclination, kick, monkey, obsession, shot, sweet tooth, thing.

Secretary
IOMICA Secretary

Post by Secretary » 12 Aug 2004, 16:56

I think you got something there Dan... "Hang-up" would surely sell a bundle of boats... :lol:

Marko

Dan Crowley

Post by Dan Crowley » 15 Aug 2004, 19:49

I like "Monkey," as in, "The Cockatoo chased the Monkey around the course, and came in a close second."

awallin

Post by awallin » 16 Aug 2004, 12:58

Or Mercury is an element and the next models are named after elements close to Hg in the table of elements:
Titanium, Cadmium, Silver, Gold, Indium etc.
----------------
Anders Wallin

nick lin

Naming a new BAG

Post by nick lin » 17 Aug 2004, 14:15

Hmmmm. Heavy doesn't have a great deal of appeal. I guess that is one thing going against Mercury in the first place. Still you are on the right track as in a related family of names.

NL

EKEvens

Re: Naming a new BAG

Post by EKEvens » 20 Aug 2004, 21:42

nick lin wrote:Hmmmm. Heavy doesn't have a great deal of appeal. I guess that is one thing going against Mercury in the first place. Still you are on the right track as in a related family of names.

NL
Hermes....the Greek equivalent of the Roman god Mercury

EKE
Erik K. Evens

IanHB

Post by IanHB » 21 Aug 2004, 06:07

Nick, I posted my original reply on the rcsailing.net site which as you know has recently shot its self in the foot, so I will reply here as this forum is a little less silly.
My suggestion is that you have to stay with the BAG theme, so the next in the series should be SWAG. This word also has some nice connotations as the Americans call commercial goodies ( caps, T shirts, key rings, mugs, etc,) swag. The next in the series could be TUCKER, SADDLE, or MYSTERY, all have a certain Australian connection. :lol: :shock: :D
DO IT NOW BEFORE IT`S TOO LATE!

nick lin

Post by nick lin » 26 Aug 2004, 14:28

I'll give the comp another 7 days or so, then print a family suitable list.

Regards
NL

johnw

BAG

Post by johnw » 26 Aug 2004, 16:55

I like the Swag suggestion...

The follow up design names just seem to flow...

Brag, Frag, Drag (whoops, bad idea),
Jag, Hag, Lag (another stinker),
Rag, Tag, Sag, Wag and Zag.

-John W.