Sail number

Discuss measuring an IOM and being a measurer

Moderator: Lawrie Neish

Xabier

Sail number

Post by Xabier » 05 Jul 2011, 16:58

Hi:
Rule E6(b) says:
a sail number, which shall be the last two digits of the boat registration number or the competitor’s personal number allotted by the relevant issuing authority. A single-digit number shall be prefixed with a ‘0’. There shall be space in front of a sail number for the prefix ‘1’, which may be required by the race committee where there is a conflict between sail numbers. Where a conflict remains, the race committee shall require that sail numbers be suitably changed until the conflict is resolved. Any prefix ‘1’ or other required change shall become part of the sail number.

Question: If my personal number has three digits, could I paint only the last two digits or should I paint the three digits and make room for the prefix '1' (four digits in total)?

Lawrie, Val, RoyL, Jan or someone has any response?

Dave Alston
Sail number: GBR3096
Club: Market Bosworth
Design: Fatboy

Re: Sail number

Post by Dave Alston » 05 Jul 2011, 19:47

Xabier,

You really have answered your own question:-

Rule E6(b) a sail number, which shall be the last two digits of …. or the competitor’s personal number …..

• So your sail number can only be 2 digits

Rule E6(b) ……. There shall be space in front of a sail number for the prefix ‘1’, which…

• It could be a ‘2’ or ’3’ depending upon how many boats come to the event with the same number.

Be aware however that your personal number does NOT take precedence over a normally allocated hull number and you will be asked to change number if there is a clash at an event.

You could use three numbers if the first digit is not a 1 and you would be reasonably safe.

Xabier

Re: Sail number

Post by Xabier » 05 Jul 2011, 20:31

Thank you, Dave.

My english is very poor (very, very poor) and I thought that "the last two digits " affects only to "the boat registration number", because there is not an of before "the competitor’s personal number" ("which shall be the last two digits of the boat registration number or of competitor’s personal number "). That confused me.

Thank you once again (and thank you, google translator)