Guide to 'How do I register/certify an IOM'

Discuss measuring an IOM and being a measurer

Moderator: Lawrie Neish

Roy Thompson

Guide to 'How do I register/certify an IOM'

Post by Roy Thompson » 12 Dec 2003, 20:07

:idea: We've uploaded a guide to registering and certifying an IOM (a PowerPoint flow-chart) to the IOMICA Web site in the 'Information/Downloads section at:

http://www.iomclass.org/measurement.htm
(URL edited by AW 26 Jan 2005 )

:!: It is important to remember that this is only a guide and the current rules should be consulted for the full details.
Roy Thompson
"WE DON'T SEE THINGS AS THEY ARE, WE SEE THINGS AS WE ARE" A.N.

Richard Rowan

Post by Richard Rowan » 26 Jan 2005, 01:55

The measuring.htm document referred to in the VC Measurement posting of 12th December appears to now be unavailable on the new IOMICA web site.

Hopefully, it will be restored soon ?

Regards
Richard Rowan
General Secretary
International Radio Sailing Association
http://www.radiosailing.org

awallin

Post by awallin » 26 Jan 2005, 08:19

All information was re-organized when I updated the website to its new look in December. However, everything is still there, just in different places :)

The Measurement subcommittee is at
http://www.iomclass.org/measurement.htm

and specifically the measurement guide at:
http://www.iomclass.org/measurement/How ... ter_v6.pdf

I have edited Roy's post below with the new URL. Let me know if there are other posts that need editing.
----------------
Anders Wallin

IanHB

Post by IanHB » 20 Feb 2005, 11:45

HELP PLEASE, I am trying to find the measurement forms to download.
I want both the HULL and the RIGS forms.
I have visited the IOM class website but it is not obvious to me as I can no longer see a downloads page .
I am sometimes a little thick so need your help. :cry: :?:
DO IT NOW BEFORE IT`S TOO LATE!

awallin

Post by awallin » 20 Feb 2005, 18:31

IanHB wrote:HELP PLEASE, I am trying to find the measurement forms to download.
I want both the HULL and the RIGS forms.
I have visited the IOM class website but it is not obvious to me as I can no longer see a downloads page .
I am sometimes a little thick so need your help. :cry: :?:
Good point Ian, there is in fact currently no link to the forms from the IOMICA site ... my bad.

You need to go directly to the RSD site to get the forms:
http://www.radiosailing.org/catalogue.html

I'll add a link to the forms from the rules page on the IOMICA site when I have time.
----------------
Anders Wallin

Roy Thompson

Post by Roy Thompson » 20 Feb 2005, 23:15

Hi Ian,
Can I ask if you are an IOM measurer? If so, your NCA/DM/MNA should also be able to provide you with measurement forms as well as keeping you up to date on the changes in rules, decisions and interpretations etc.

And if your not an IOM measurer when you get your IOM hull/rigs measured, the measurer normally has these forms anyway. Remember they are only to be filled in by and official IOM measurer appointed by your NCA/DM. He will then send the completed forms to the Certification Authority (CA) who may issue a Certificate.
That said, the measurement forms are a good start as to what to expect in terms of what the measurer is looking for, although his job should go beyond simply checking off the list and filling in the form and include a check of ALL rules in the relevant parts of the class rules regardless of whether they are specifically mentioned on the measurement form or not. It's best to have a copy of the current IOM class rules on hand when you look at the measurement forms.

Hope this clears it up and sorry about the slip with the link. If you have any other doubts about the fundamental measurment process, do let us know.
Roy Thompson

cfwahl

Post by cfwahl » 21 Feb 2005, 02:18

VCmeasurement wrote: the measurement forms are a good start as to what to expect in terms of what the measurer is looking for, although his job should go beyond simply checking off the list and filling in the form and include a check of ALL rules in the relevant parts of the class rules regardless of whether they are specifically mentioned on the measurement form or not.
I am surprised to see these statements. If items of compliance are checked, but not recorded, for any and all yachts measured, then I think that there is a danger of unreasonable expectations on the part of owners, and also of misrepresentation about what certification constitutes, and who is responsible for a yacht's compliance with the rules.

IMHO, an owner who has a certificate should have no expectation that the measurer has approved any aspects of construction or configuration that are not recorded on the forms. It seems to me problematic if

a) a measurer finds other aspects of the yacht to object to, about which the owner disagrees;

b) a measurer is asked about whether such and such a configuration is "legal" and assents (but does not record such approval), and then the feature at issue is protested or disallowed at a race;

c) a measurer does _not_ "catch" an illegal feature.

So, I would expect that to keep things clean, the certification procedure's checking would be limited to items explicit on the forms.
Charles Wahl

IanHB

Post by IanHB » 21 Feb 2005, 08:36

:D Thank you all for your help, I am now a happy camper. :P
Yes Roy I am a registed measurer, in fact our clubs CHIEF MEASURER. :roll: Cool eh.
I was actually on the IMYRU Technical Committee with Jan Dejmo in 87 & 88 and had some input into the formation of the class.
So you can see, I know enough to be dangerous. :twisted:
IMHO it is good for owners to be able to download a copy of the measurement forms. They can then go through them a their leisure and get to grips with the requirements of registering a boat and our job as measurers.
DO IT NOW BEFORE IT`S TOO LATE!

Roy Thompson

Post by Roy Thompson » 21 Feb 2005, 12:47

If items of compliance are checked, but not recorded, for any and all yachts measured.......
Charles,

As you can see on the measurement form there is a note for measurers, and is explicitly stated that the hull/rig should comply with ALL the relevant rules whether they are mentioned on the form or not. So you see, it is not only my 'idea' but implicit in the measurement process.

You will also see that there is a place for the measurer to put any comments regarding things he/she isn't sure about. Sometimes it is very difficult for a measurer to interpret the rules (and probably more so for many owners), that's why the technical committee is seperate from the measurements committee maybe. A measurer is only human after all and sometimes subjectivity comes into play.
The owner is the person responsable that his boat is within the class rules. As I have mentioned before in many posts, my idea is that the measurer is there to help the owner have a class legal boat, both at fundamental measurement and at events. If the measurer and the owner have a 'disagreement' about something at fundamental measurement, then it should be recorded on the measuremnt form if there is any doubt about it.
The fact that a boat has a certificate doesn't mean that it is legal. It's a bit like your car. In most countries, cars are requiered to pass a periodical technical inspection. Imagine that the car passes such inspection but on leaving the garage a light bulb fails, or after a few thousand kms he has bald tyres etc.... There are many reasons that a boat's certificate cannot be a gaurantee that the boat is legal always. Event measurement often checks some of the more obvious problems such as weight changes due to different winches/batteries etc, but fundamental measurement for the certificate is checking other things that can equally change or be changed between events. Even a simple piece of rigging can cause a boat to be 'ilegal', the recent case of the jib topping lift being a good example.

Of course you are right when you say that an expectation is created when an owner receives a cert for his boat, and there have been problems where measurers have given the OK to a boat which due to it's construction (eg 'texalium' hulls or the Blackmagick sails of a few years ago) are in fact illegal. This is the type of problem which can be avoided if the manufacturers ask for advice in confidence before trying out these new ideas.

I think it would be wrong to think that you can pass measurement (either fundamental or event) with a boat which is 'ilegal' in some way because there are some things that aren't checked. It would leave a loop hole which could be exploited by the unscroupolus.
Roy Thompson

Roy Thompson

Post by Roy Thompson » 21 Feb 2005, 15:14

IMHO it is good for owners to be able to download a copy of the measurement forms. They can then go through them a their leisure and get to grips with the requirements of registering a boat and our job as measurers
I absolutely agree Ian, with the condition that they realise that there are more rules and interpretaions than are reflected on the measurement forms.
Cheers.
Roy Thompson