Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Don Case

Post by Don Case » 25 Sep 2008, 18:00

Hi everyone
My name is Don Case and I sail model yachts. :wink:
Up til now I sailed a US1M Mistral but the trend on the Island is towards IOM so here I go. Since I had a bare Mistral hull kicking around I thought I would take a shot at converting it. I widened the transom and pushed the beam out to 8 1/2". Then I loaded it with 4 kg's of lead and floated it in the hot tub. It floated so the transom and the bow just touched the water so it should be OK. The hull draft appears to be very close to 60 mm so I will have to keep an eye on that. With the deep hull my mold for my US1M fins should be long enough. I will probably have a lot of questions as I am finding the rules rather confusing for a land lubber. You seem to have to go to two or more places to get the information you need about one thing. It is starting to come together after reading them about a dozen times. I'm starting to remember where I saw pertinent information although I'm wearing the pages thin. Now back out to the shop.
Don
Don Case
Can 271
Vancouver Island B.C.

Andy Stevenson
GBR NCA Officer

Post by Andy Stevenson » 25 Sep 2008, 19:00

Hi Don

Welcome aboard. Do keep us posted with your conversion efforts.
You seem to have to go to two or more places to get the information you need about one thing
That’s an interesting observation. Could you expand a little? What did you struggle to find?

Cheers
Andy Stevenson
"A little pain never hurt anyone!" Sam, aged 11

Don Case

Post by Don Case » 25 Sep 2008, 19:32

andy111 wrote:Hi Don
That’s an interesting observation. Could you expand a little? What did you struggle to find?

Cheers
I was trying to see how long the mast was(I was thinking about using a US1M CF mast until I could get an aluminum one) and I had to go to C.7.4(a) to get the deck to lower point and then to F.3.4 to get the upper to lower point. I'm still not sure if there is a max length. Could I make the mast 6" longer and not use a crane? Not that I would want to but it is a gray area.

I guess my problem is that I am not a sailor and don't know how the standards work. To me there are so many areas that leave me wondering what they are trying to say.
I'll sort it out but it just seems to me that if someone in West Fencepost tried to build an IOM with no help but a copy of the rules his chances of turning out a legal IOM would be slim to none.
Don
Don Case
Can 271
Vancouver Island B.C.

Barry Fox CAN262
Sail number: CAN 46
Club: VMSS
Design: V8

Post by Barry Fox CAN262 » 25 Sep 2008, 21:09

Don's observation is one I also had when I first started in the class but learned to work around, as he has as well. Then you find out that you need to dig through the ERS to find out why some of those things need to be where they are supposed to be.

There is effectively a maximum mast length, although it is variable. The distance from the lower band to the dot you have to put on the deck determines the overall length of the mast.

I think what Don means is that when you first read the rules you get to Section C and think you have it but then discover you need to know more and then you find out that the rest of it (well most) is in one of the subsequent sections. And maybe in the ERS or Appendix E of the RRS.

Once you figure that out it isn't too hard to get it right but a new person might not get there until they have something finished that isn't right.

When I start somebody new down that road these days I make sure I tell them to really read all the rules at least once and that the rules are simple in nature but the presentation can be confusing at first.

Once you understand that they are really quite simple.
Barry Fox
CAN 46
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Don Case

Post by Don Case » 25 Sep 2008, 21:19

Hi Barry
While you're here who is our measuerer
Thanks
Don
Don Case
Can 271
Vancouver Island B.C.