RRS 2009-2012 -- Changes to the game

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Lester

RRS 2009-2012 -- Changes to the game

Post by Lester » 28 Sep 2008, 20:35

ISAF have released the new RRS on their Web site. I have some comments on the changes as they might affect radio sailing at

http://www.onemetre.net/Race/RRS2009/2009changes.htm
Lester Gilbert
http://www.onemetre.net/

Rob Guyatt

Post by Rob Guyatt » 29 Oct 2008, 06:07

Hi Lester,
Here’s a few of my thoughts on the new rules.

Dropping 17.2 is a good idea and will mean that when heading down the 1st reach after the top mark towards the gybe mark the clear ahead boat can go below proper coarse to block a clear astern boat from getting an inside overlap before the gybe mark zone. As long as it’s done before an overlap is established then no problems with most of the Part A rules for the clear ahead boat. I think this simlifies things.

E4.2 is a sensible inclusion. How many skippers have ever been pinged under rule E4.2b because they heard someone say “hey Joe, you’re heading to the wrong mark!â€

Gilbert Louis

Post by Gilbert Louis » 29 Oct 2008, 23:12

Hi, while some of them make more sense and in particular I like dropping 17.2 like Rob said as it will allow for the boat clear ahead to be able to defent her position. However I am still dubvious about rules 20 on the obstruction.

Unless I misread the rule the boat hailing for room has to wait for the other boat to respond before acting that's seems very wrong to me.

Say 2 boats are sailing on starboard towards the shore and the boat to leeward hails room he has to wait for the windward boat to respond before tacking ? that's a rule for disaster... not so much with one metre but still imagine that with big boat racing...

I could have read this one wrong and so if I have I retract my comments above...
Gilbert LOUIS
www.iomireland.org
V6 - RMG - Blackmagick
IRL41 - Ireland

Rob Guyatt

Post by Rob Guyatt » 30 Oct 2008, 02:00

Hi Gilbert, I don't have a problem with 20.1(a). 20.1(b) says that the hailed boat must respond to the hail immediately. If the hailing boat was to hail then tack at the same instant then that can also be dangerous. In rc that happens regularly now where a skipper hails then just tacks at the same instant. That's an infringement of 16.1 as I see it. So I don't see that the practical side of things has changed. Just wording of the rules in this instance.

Rob

Gilbert Louis

Post by Gilbert Louis » 30 Oct 2008, 17:08

You're right Rob, how many times have I seen boats sailing in a collision course with another an only shouting their priority at the last minute - granted they don't have to as they're the right of way boat but still sometimes it's not that easy to see at a distance. And not everyone knows all the rules in depth either.

In this instance that makes more sense as it gives the windward boat time to react so the leeward boat can then tack.
Gilbert LOUIS
www.iomireland.org
V6 - RMG - Blackmagick
IRL41 - Ireland

chris jackson

Post by chris jackson » 30 Oct 2008, 17:12

Hi Lester and Rob,
Surely the launch time limit was introduced to stop skippers launching their boats very close to the start gun time and from the control area adjacent to the pin end of the line. In light weather and with the pin end only a few metres from the control area it was not uncommmon for skippers to hold their boats until the last few seconds and then 'propel' them towards the start line. This left boats already on the water trying to avoid such high speed craft which were also claiming full right of way. As this rule applies to all classes I suggest Lester tries out the idea of a 'last minute' start with his Sword at Gosport!!!
On larger lakes, now much more common as boats have become more seaworthy and reliable, where the start line is well away from the launch and control area this problem does not come into play. However many UK lakes still have to use start lines very close to the bank to give any sort of windward first beat and I suspect the rule is best kept where it is.

Chris Jackson

Rob Guyatt

Post by Rob Guyatt » 30 Oct 2008, 23:46

Chris, that scenario is covered by rule 42.1 "....a boat shall compete by
using only the wind and water to increase, maintain or decrease her
speed."

Just as you can't give the boat a shove to give it speed if released during a race (say after bringing it ashore to check trim or remove weed etc) nor can one give the boat a shove when launching after the preparitory signal (when the 1 minute rule is deleted in our SI)

Rob

chris jackson

Post by chris jackson » 01 Nov 2008, 10:45

H Rob
My earlier comments were intended to throw some light, in a lighthearted way, on how and why this SSI was introduced by first the MYA and then copied across into the international scene, effectively responding to your earlier comments that it was probably the work of some underemployed Race Officers!!
I am aware that boats can be protested under 42.1 but such a protest depends on a subjective opinion about the amount of propulsion which can and might have been used during launch. For those of us coming from vane sailing where 'easing off' and effective use of the turning pole was part of the norm the clear cutoff time seemed a better solution as any power applied to a boat is likely to be dissipated within sixty seconds. The othe 'benefit' of the rule in a small area near the start line was that other competitors were fully aware of other boats which they were required to consider in their prestart manoeuvres.
I fully understand that IOMICA may wish to delete this rule, especially as the use of Umpires has become the norm for IOMICA events. In this regard, and as a bline, it was interesting to hear the umpires quite correctly calling some boats for pumping during the recent Euros in Croatia.
Chris Jackson

Rob Guyatt

Post by Rob Guyatt » 02 Nov 2008, 09:56

Chris, I must admit it is much easier to administer the 1 minute rule than adjudicate 42.1. But it is a sledge hammer to crack a nut approach. We'll continue to write it out in our SI's just to cover our arses in case of a pedant protesting.

Rob