Servo Voltage

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Don Case

Servo Voltage

Post by Don Case » 06 Oct 2008, 20:47

Has anyone ever tried 7.2v on an HS-805 or 815? How long did it last?
Thanks
Don
Don Case
Can 271
Vancouver Island B.C.

Hiljoball
Sail number: CAN 307
Club: West Coast Radio Sailing
Design: V8
Canada

Post by Hiljoball » 06 Oct 2008, 23:16

Remember Don, that you are also putting that voltage to the Rx. Is that Ok too?

I run an RMG on 7.2v, but it has a voltage regulator that provides 5V to the Rx and rudder servo.
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity

Don Case

Post by Don Case » 07 Oct 2008, 00:39

Good point. I was just surfing, looking for a 5 cell AA battery holder and there ain't no such thing. I was thinking that maybe I could use a 6 cell holder. Never thought about the receiver. :oops: :oops: :oops: I might have eventually. Like when I saw the factory smoke rising from the boat.
Thanks
Don
Don Case
Can 271
Vancouver Island B.C.

Hiljoball
Sail number: CAN 307
Club: West Coast Radio Sailing
Canada

Post by Hiljoball » 07 Oct 2008, 00:47

Don Case wrote:Good point. I was just surfing, looking for a 5 cell AA battery holder and there ain't no such thing.Thanks
Don
One option you could try is to use rechargeable alkaline batteries. They are rated at 1.5v each, same as normal alkaline and better than the 1.2v of the other rechargeable types. That way a 4pack holder gives you nominal 6v.
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity

Barry Fox CAN262
Sail number: CAN 46
Club: VMSS

Post by Barry Fox CAN262 » 07 Oct 2008, 08:00

Or make up your own 5 cell packs. If you can solder you can easily make them up out of loose cells. I think almost all of my packs are my own now.
Barry Fox
CAN 46
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

LARRY REEDMAN

Post by LARRY REEDMAN » 08 Oct 2008, 04:40

Hi Don,
Back to your origional enquiry, I run an IOM (RMG), a Soling 1 Meter (HS-815BB) and a Halo30 (HS-815BB) with 7.4v LiPo batteries through the Spektrum AR6000 receiver. The RMG has the battery going to it then to the receiver but in the S1M and the Halo the battery is connected directly to the receiver. All 3 boats have standard analogue HS-422 rudder servos.
I have not experienced problems with any of the boats under the full range of wind conditions I sail in.
Two other club members have Halo30's with the same setup as me and they have not experienced any problems.

If anything changes I will post the details.

Regards,
Larry.

Don Case

Post by Don Case » 08 Oct 2008, 17:47

John
I haven't read good things about rechargable alkalines so I'll shy away from them for a while.

Barry
37 years with the telephone company,I hope I can solder. :wink: My reason for using individual cells is that I have seen too many battery packs thrown away because of one duff cell(remember, I'm cheap). I'm concerned about damaging the cells while soldering them even though I have done it many times. The advantage of individual cells is the convenience of testing especially with the new chargers that test the cell every charge. If I want to use one of these chargers I can't solder up my own packs.

Larry
Since the 815/805 draws close to an amp I wonder how robust the Spectrum receiver is? Are you getting full current to the servo? Does the Spectrum receiver have a voltage regulator? I'm hoping for a Spectrum from Santa this year.

Thaks
Don
Don Case
Can 271
Vancouver Island B.C.

Lester

Post by Lester » 08 Oct 2008, 20:25

Don Case wrote:I was just surfing, looking for a 5 cell AA battery holder and there ain't no such thing. I was thinking that maybe I could use a 6 cell holder
Hi Don

For a while, I ran with 5 AA NiCds in a 6-cell holder. I made up a dummy 6th 'cell' from a length of dowel with domed furniture pins each end and a length of thick copper wire connecting 'em.
Lester Gilbert
http://www.onemetre.net/

Don Case

Post by Don Case » 08 Oct 2008, 20:46

You know, I thought of this before, but I was thinking that if I had a 5 cell holder I could use it for alkalines by putting in a dummy. It never crossed my mind to use a 6 cell with a dummy for 5. I guess thats why you're a professor and I'm just an old telephone guy.
Come to think of it there is probably no reason that I can't cut one cell off a 6 cell and re-terminate the wire. A big problem just became a little one.
Thanks Lester
Don
Don Case
Can 271
Vancouver Island B.C.

Lester

Post by Lester » 09 Oct 2008, 08:26

Hi Don

Not so fast! You need to see my cell dummy... I stopped using it 'cos I couldn't build one that worked (smile). It kept popping out of the holder since I never could get the length right, or the diameter, or the right kind of dimpling on one end to mate against the terminal. It kept either open-circuiting or introducing excessive resistance since my 10W soldering iron couldn't heat up the thick bit of wire enough to stick it to the furniture pins and so I always had a cold joint. One time I wrapped a lot of duct tape around it to bulk it up enough so it stayed put, happened to run in a race with my RMG 380 in my IOM having the sheet hooked up and straining, and found I had melted the duct tape sticky stuff all over my batteries, wiring, and Rx... I might know some theory, but have ten well-formed thumbs on my hands (smile). I'd have blown up all the telephones in your patch within a day!
Lester Gilbert
http://www.onemetre.net/

RoyL

Post by RoyL » 09 Oct 2008, 17:52

Really have to say that it today's world, unless you enjoy the idea of building your own battery packs, it is much easier, smart and convenient to buy the packs already built. First, you can get very high quality cells. Second, you get professional grade wiring and wrapping including your choice of battery plug. Third, price is very reasonable (look at a tower hobby or any online battery supplier). Fourth, the packs are incredibly reliable. I haven't seen the problem of a bad or unbalanced cell ruining a commercial battery pack in years. And you don't have to worry that you built something the wrong way.