Moving to Spektrum ???

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Gilbert Louis

Moving to Spektrum ???

Post by Gilbert Louis » 15 Dec 2008, 22:30

Hi,
I'm thinking of moving over to spektrum Tx/Rx and im' not 100% sure what is the best option for our use in IOM.

I have narrowed down the Dx5e or Dx6i for the Tx but really not sure what to go for in the Rx. what do people who have already made the move use for their Rx ?

And can I still use my regular futaba servo and RMG winch ?

Cheers
Gilbert LOUIS
www.iomireland.org
V6 - RMG - Blackmagick
IRL41 - Ireland

RoyL

Post by RoyL » 16 Dec 2008, 00:56

Have you also looked at the Futaba spread spectrum gear. A number of people here in the US have chosen the three or six channel model.

Regardless of choice, the futaba servo should still work fine. As to the RMG, it will also work, but depending on the age of the unit there might be some issues about the time lag in establishing the link between the transmitter and receiver. Check the RMG site for details.

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
Sail number: FRA 100
Design: Venti
France

Post by Olivier Cohen » 16 Dec 2008, 10:35

Hello Gilbert,

I've a Spektrum since beginning 2007, and changed my DX6 to DX6i beginning of this year.

No issue with those radios, and DX6i has got an impressive autonomy with 4 AA batterys (20 hours!)
IOMICA Chairman

Gilbert Louis

Post by Gilbert Louis » 17 Dec 2008, 00:43

Hi Olivier, thank you for your feedback re the Tx that confirms what I thought but what about the receiver - which one do you use / recommend ?
Gilbert LOUIS
www.iomireland.org
V6 - RMG - Blackmagick
IRL41 - Ireland

Rob Guyatt

Post by Rob Guyatt » 17 Dec 2008, 03:09

Hi Gilbert, I've been using the Futaba 6EX for a while now. I've also still got a Spektrum DX7. The Spektrum DX6i comes with the two piece Rx (AR6200) and the DX5e has a one piece Rx (AR500). It's a pity it's not the other way around. The 2 piece Rx is a nuisance. If I was going for a Spektrum set I would get the DX6i and then get an AR500 Rx for the boat. What I like about the AR500 is the antenna arrangement. It has the usual two antennas but one is on a coax lead extension. This gives real flexibility for antenna placement. The Futaba 6EX comes with the R606FS Rx. This has two longer coax antennas. It was a bit of a nuisance scrunching it all up to get them in my Disco's pot so I cut one of them back to only 50 mm long. If anyone wants to cut these antennas shorter for whatever reason, remember to (very carefully) cut the coax shield back to create an antenna of the same length as original.

Rob

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
Sail number: FRA 100
Design: Venti
France

Post by Olivier Cohen » 17 Dec 2008, 09:56

Gilbert Louis wrote:Hi Olivier, thank you for your feedback re the Tx that confirms what I thought but what about the receiver - which one do you use / recommend ?
Hi Gilbert, I use the AR6200 Rx, fixed in my pot, one part on a side, the other on the top.

Never seen the rx proposed by Rob.
IOMICA Chairman

Bruce Andersen
USA NCA Officer
Sail number: USA 16
Club: Famous Potatoes Sailing Club
Design: Brit Pop

Post by Bruce Andersen » 17 Dec 2008, 17:41

Rob

I too use the Futaba 6EX with their reciever that has 2 antennas. I filled the shell of the Rx with dielectric grease and stuck it to the undersurface of the deck in a moderately damp boat and have had no problems the last year. That way my screw top pot only has to hold the battery. I use LiPo's so I wrap it up in a condom or plastic bag, then put it in the pot - fills pretty much the entire space so there's no room for the Rx!

Perhaps I'll work on some tooling to make small waterproof containers for these Rx's to fit into to free up space in the pot and still allow full extension of the antennae - they are supposed to be spread at 90 degrees per the instructions.

Gilbert Louis

Post by Gilbert Louis » 31 Dec 2008, 21:46

Hi, I'm recovering from being sick since xmas and haven't checked my posts but I want to thank you all for your responses in particular - olivier, rob, bruce and the others for their responses.

I have made the jump and ordered a Tx and Rx but I have one final question : how do you bind the Rx to the Tx since there is no crystal to aligns the frequencies ?
Gilbert LOUIS
www.iomireland.org
V6 - RMG - Blackmagick
IRL41 - Ireland

Hiljoball
Sail number: CAN 307
Club: West Coast Radio Sailing
Design: V8
Canada

Post by Hiljoball » 01 Jan 2009, 03:31

Gilbert Louis wrote:
I have made the jump and ordered a Tx and Rx but I have one final question : how do you bind the Rx to the Tx since there is no crystal to aligns the frequencies ?
It depends upon which brand you bought. The Futaba is easy. There is a switch on the side of the Rx that you flip during the bind.

For the DX6, you use something called a binding plug which is a jumper that you plug into the Rx during the bind, then remove.

The set should come with instructions.

If you are impatient to find out, do a google search for the manual for your model and download it.
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity