All-wood Hull to scratch build?

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

robertomesnik

All-wood Hull to scratch build?

Post by robertomesnik » 10 Mar 2010, 02:28

Hi there!

It is my first post and I am thinking of starting in this hobby with the IOM design...

I love building. I build RC planes (and helis but that is not an art...), and work on lathe and mill.

So I will eventually race, but for now, I am looking for building something fun, with a full wooden hull.

I saw some plans available. It seems like this hobby has all kinds of rules, so not to infringe any, are the available plans okay to use?

I like the hulls that have a flat (ish) deck... don't know yet the differences and that might change as I learn more.

Read all the tips on how to start by looking for a club (which I did, and will show up for meetings; and they sail IOM) now would like some guide lines on which boat (s) to take a closer look and perhaps start working on the plans and templates...

Thanks for the time to read!!

Roberto

Gyula
Sail number: ROU 52
Design: Ska

Re: All-wood Hull to scratch build?

Post by Gyula » 10 Mar 2010, 20:44

Hi Roberto

The Triple Crown is a good boat to start with. It can be built with flat deck if you want, I have built mine with "skiff style" deck.
Gyula Ferencz

robertomesnik

Post by robertomesnik » 11 Mar 2010, 18:49

:D Gyula - thanks SOOO much for the time!

These last few days I was browsing the few different models out there and now with your note, something clicked... it seems that I fould same model hull with different decks?!!?

How does one decide which type deck to go with?

I have ordered an RC Sailboat book (in the mail!) and I am hoping to find more answers there so not to bother guys like you with basic questions...

I am still out in the dark of how the hole rigging and servos are supposed to work...

Thanks again, Gyula for posting!!
Roberto

Gyula

Post by Gyula » 11 Mar 2010, 19:12

On the TS2 site you can find among other infos a great rigging guide

Regards
Gyula
Gyula Ferencz

Hiljoball
Sail number: CAN 307
Club: West Coast Radio Sailing
Design: V8
Canada

Post by Hiljoball » 11 Mar 2010, 20:55

Here is a great guide to building a wooden hull. It talks about a US1M, but is also appropriate for an IOM.

http://www.theamya.org/boats/us1m/pdf/us1mconst.pdf

There are IOM plans for various hulls. I have built the Triple Crown, but I prefer the EMO from Frank Russell. The EOM is easier to build as it does not have the flare at the bow.

http://www.hotkey.net.au/~frussell/Plans.htm

These is a simple hard chine design called Maximus

http://smys.yolasite.com/plans.php

There are others on the internet.

There are several reasons for building a recessed after deck (a skiff deck) in the IOM class. It allows you to set the big A rig lower in the boat, but to me the main advantage is that it facilitates using a mast ram. The slender IOM rig needs the ram. Out of ignorance, I built my Triple Crown with a flush deck and it was difficult to control the rig (It needed a jack stay to give the same effect as a ram).

John
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity

robertomesnik

Post by robertomesnik » 12 Mar 2010, 00:58

Guyla - Thanks once more for the help. You are my first! Just now I had a chance to click on your hyperlink... HOLY COW!!!! IT LOOKS AWESOME!!!! I want one just like that!!!!! We NEED to talk! HE!HE!

John - Outstanding links and information!!! Thanks a lot! That construction guide rocks! I was wondering how is everyone building this stuff without manuals?! Very informative links and very cool insight on the flat deck... After looking at sooooo maaaany boats and seeing that 99% have the skiff (?) type, I was thinking there had to be some technical reason for it...

So, MY BEST FRIEND Gyula...Now you are stuck with me! Just kidding... Can you tell me what "manual" or construction guide you used? I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about boats. If you need help building airplanes and helis, then I can help!!

Thanks again guys!!!!

Roberto.

Gyula

Post by Gyula » 12 Mar 2010, 05:41

Now you are stuck with me! Just kidding
No problem, but I won't be here for a few days, I am going to the 4th Hungarian IOM regatta :D

For my first wooden boat (the triple crown was the second) I used the same manual that John gave for the US1M boats. It is a very good manual.

Regards
Gyula
Gyula Ferencz

robertomesnik

Post by robertomesnik » 12 Mar 2010, 18:28

Very nice!! Good luck on your race and make sure to post some pictures!!!!!!

robertomesnik

Post by robertomesnik » 12 Mar 2010, 22:48

Guys,

On another note, how do we get full size prints for the Triple Crown?

I will keep looking in any case.

Thanks!!

Hiljoball
Canada

Post by Hiljoball » 12 Mar 2010, 22:54

Triple Crown plans are published by the UK MYA

http://www.mya-uk.org.uk/suppliers/triplecrown.html

You can buy the complete plans, or download the PDF. The PDF sections are full sized. Note that the lines show the outside dimensions and must be reduced by the thickness of the planks.

John
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity

robertomesnik

Post by robertomesnik » 13 Mar 2010, 22:13

Thanks John! That was an important tip!

So I have downloaded the build manual and I am reading it through. I have a flat board will go secure some balsa wood for the planking... After that, cut the shadows at full size minus the thickness of the planks.

I take at the double keel plank areas I have to trim the shadows double. And for the double deck rails...those go on top of the shadow lines, correct?

Slowly but surely moving ahead!

Thanks for support!

Roberto

Hiljoball
Canada

Post by Hiljoball » 14 Mar 2010, 17:21

robertomesnik wrote: I take at the double keel plank areas I have to trim the shadows double. And for the double deck rails...those go on top of the shadow lines, correct?
Roberto
Cut a notch in the shadow to the size of the inset plank, so that the plank is flush with the shadow. Then glue on the first outer (skin) plank.

Although I plank with balsa, I use cedar for the keel plank, and the first two adjacent planks and for the gunnel planks to give strength.

Another hint. Cover the shadows in masking tape. That will reduce the chances of the planks fixing to the shadows, and make removal easier.

John
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity

robertomesnik

Post by robertomesnik » 15 Mar 2010, 18:53

...odd...I posted a reply yesterday but it didn't go...

Thanks for the extra tip on the masking tape!! And I am clear on the notches now.

On two other points

1) Deck: are there plans for decks? Are they standard? You've mentioned the skiff type... how do I go about building that?

1) Planks: I see Gyula's Triple Crown has what seems to be stained planks in between non-stained... the stain has to be through the hole wood, right? Otherwise, when you sand, it will go away... I was experimenting with that this weekend...

I did lots of frame building on my bi-plane this weekend (shhhhhhhhh)...but continued to read the build manual!!!

Thanks John!

Roberto

Hiljoball
Canada

Post by Hiljoball » 17 Mar 2010, 00:09

Hi Robert,

It might be better to move this topic over to the RC sailing forum, as that forum has a lot more scratch builders who can chime in. Another advantage is that it is possible to post construction photographs and that will aid answers.

http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/forum.php

John
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity