fastening the front track to the deck

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Dave Pickett
Sail number: GBR3845
Club: Eastbourne
Design: TS2 and Shiraz

fastening the front track to the deck

Post by Dave Pickett » 30 Apr 2011, 10:12

the standard design on the Spirit simply has a fastener at each end which allows the track to pull up in the middle! I would like an additional fastener say 1/3rd along from the front to better secure the jib forestay, but am concerned that on smaller rigs I may need to slide the front mount further back and that additional fastener may get in the way....

What have others done to make the track more secure on the deck?

Barry Fox CAN262
Sail number: CAN 46
Club: VMSS
Design: V8

Re: fastening the front track to the deck

Post by Barry Fox CAN262 » 01 May 2011, 05:49

You can always build it with the two ends screwed down and then once you get the #3 built and in place you should be able to find the rearmost point you will need and put another screw just behind that point.

You can also do the track in two pieces; one for the jib pivot and the other for the sheet lead. Then the jib pivot piece is shorter and less likely to flex.
Barry Fox
CAN 46
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Dave Pickett

Post by Dave Pickett » 01 May 2011, 12:51

thanks Barry, does anyone know how far forward from the mast the pivot for no 3 suit needs to be so I can put an extra screw in?

Patrick Parisienne
Sail number: AUS 38
Club: Albert Park Model Yacht Club
Design: Obsession

Post by Patrick Parisienne » 17 May 2011, 07:42

From the front position for the No.1 rig, No.3 eyelet would be approx 60mm rearwards from there.

Have you considered not using a deck track, and just screw 3 eyebolts into the deck instead? It will lighter, neater and easier. I have found that the tracks adjustments can loosen and move under load in gusts, which results in lost forestay tension. Just a suggestion........

Cheers,

Pat

Don Case

Post by Don Case » 17 May 2011, 17:23

I managed to find some tiny brass flathead screws that had a 1/8" head and were about 3/8" long. They allowed me to drill and countersink a hole in the middle of the track that let the slide go right past like the screw wasn't there. The slide bridged the hole so there is no problem there. So far the little screw has held the track down. My kingplank is yellow cedar. My track isn't a Sails Etc. so it might not be quite the same.
Don
Don Case
Can 271
Vancouver Island B.C.

Dave Pickett

Post by Dave Pickett » 17 May 2011, 19:52

Thanks guys. I have put an additional bolt in place which has strengthened it up nicely, and shouldnt get in the way. If it does I can get it out using the hole in the deck that I am going to cut away to save weight!

Did try a csk bolt but I would have had to remove a lot of the track to allow the slider to go over it. Patrick, saw some ioms with this set up at the club yesterday, its a viable alternative, but as a starter in IOM I had no idea where to put the eye bolts, and the info just isnt easily available!

I am treating this as a starter boat, what I did discover yesterday sailing for the first time with the laser is that its 99% sailor and 1% boat, so it's only if I ever get really good that any deficiencies in the boat will become an issue......