What cord for sheeting and sail adjustment lines

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

graham allen
Sail number: 88
Club: Two Islands RYC
Design: Stealth

What cord for sheeting and sail adjustment lines

Post by graham allen » 22 Feb 2014, 19:52

Hi

What are the recommendations for what cord to use on an IOM for the winch and sheeting please?

And as I need to change my A rig what cord is idea for attaching the sails to the mast and booms where adjustment is needed?

any help would be helpful.

many thanks

Graham

Nigel28
Sail number: CAN 28
Design: Vancouver

Re: What cord for sheeting and sail adjustment lines

Post by Nigel28 » 22 Feb 2014, 23:41

Graham,
It sounds like such a simple inocent question.
But, the truth is, like so many other facets of sailing it is in a large part down to personal preference.
The basic starting point is Dynema line as used by kite flyers so readilly available and cheap. Also has better holding power with bowsies so good for adjustment lines.
Some of the more exotic fishing lines like spectra will give you a much thinner, lighter line for the same breaking strain (might be better for sheets) but they are more prone to fray and less UV stable so require replaceing more often.
If you sail in light "drifters" the exotic lines might make a difference, otherwise its just more expense. IMHO
I have used lines with a breaking strain of between 40 and 90lbs, but again would sugest that you consider your sailing conditions and how often you intend to replace your lines before making your choice.

Hope this helps

Nigel
Nigel Ashman
CAN 328

graham allen
Sail number: 88
Club: Two Islands RYC
Design: Stealth

Post by graham allen » 22 Feb 2014, 23:57

Thanks Nigel

Yes it seems a very simple question but the problems I have uncounted have lead me to ask this simple question. One of the problems I have had is fraying and eventual breakages. My current problem is the sheeting on a new to me IOM. In very low wind the sheets don't seem to want to allow the booms out easily.

I thank you for your help.

take care

Graham

Stevew23

Post by Stevew23 » 01 Mar 2014, 19:25

Something else to consider - some lines do become a little "sticky" when saturated, but often the biggest culprit is mounting your main sheet turning block vertically rather than horizontally...
The block traps the line between the sheave and the deck enough to hamper easy running in very light conditions - I always mount my blocks horizontally and no longer have this problem.
Steve
Steve Woolfenden RSA23