RMG winch set up with Spektrum DX6i

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Dave Pickett
Sail number: GBR3845
Club: Eastbourne
Design: TS2 and Shiraz

RMG winch set up with Spektrum DX6i

Post by Dave Pickett » 12 Aug 2014, 09:51

I have bought a TS2 with RMG winch and will need to set up the RMG winch with the DX6i. Have had a look at the RMG set up page and it looks a bit confusing, and also mentions problems with 2.4 ghz outfits not binding quickly enough. Any hints or tips to the set up of the RMG with the Spektrum TX?

Hiljoball
Sail number: CAN 307
Club: West Coast Radio Sailing
Design: V8
Canada

Re: RMG winch set up with Spektrum DX6i

Post by Hiljoball » 12 Aug 2014, 18:18

Hi Dave,

Rob Guyatt discusses this at length on the RMG web site

https://www.rmgsailwinch.com.au/rmg/pag ... adios.html

So the answer will vary based on the model of RMG that you have.

One issue with the older winches and Spektrum is that you had to pull the power/signal lead from the winch to the Rx to signal the winch what programming to change. Pulling the plug shuts off the Rx. Some Spektrum models take too long to reacquire the Tx when the plug is put back in. If it takes too long (longer that the winch timeout value), then the reprogramming fails. This capacitor may also help as it keeps the Rx alive for a few seconds until you plug in the winch again.

http://www.amain.com/Spektrum-Voltage-Protector/p6570

John
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity

Dave Pickett

Post by Dave Pickett » 12 Aug 2014, 19:25

Thanks John, just tried the spektrum and it links really quickly so hopefully it will be OK. Don't know why the RMG is still programable when virtually all TXs have that facility these days.

Will be getting the boat in a couple of weeks so will have a go then.

Dave Pickett

Post by Dave Pickett » 05 Sep 2014, 16:40

Have now got the TS2 and luckily the RMG set up is fine for the Spektrum so no need to reprogram. The owner before was using a Futaba 6J set so it seems both set ups are similar.

Rob Maller
Sail number: NED 183
Design: Kantun SMX

Post by Rob Maller » 09 Sep 2014, 22:19

I just bought a Widget which we are going to collect next Sunday.
And yes...... almost the same question; boat is fitted with a RMG 280 ES winch and no RC.
I'm planning to buy a Spektrum 5E with AR610 receiver; is that going to work??

Thx, Rob

Hiljoball
Sail number: CAN 307
Club: West Coast Radio Sailing
Design: V8
Canada

Post by Hiljoball » 09 Sep 2014, 23:05

The Spektrum 5E should work fine, just be aware that it is not programmable and does not have multiple model memory.

The new boat is coming with an RMG280ES. The E model is the easiest to program. You may need to set the travel limits - but the good news is that your new radio may work with the current winch settings without reprogramming - this is because the winch was probably already programed for the travel required for this boat (assuming that the previous owner did this). So the main reprogramming will be to set the low battery warning and fail safe settings in the winch. And if you use the same battery chemistry as the previous owner, even these settings should still work.

So plug it and and try it out before worrying about reprogramming. - Just start with the left stick at centre and move it slowly to the full out and full in positions to make sure there is no binding or hitting of fittings. If the winch travel is not satisfactory, only then worry about reprogramming.

John
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity

Rob Maller
Sail number: NED 183
Design: Kantun SMX

Post by Rob Maller » 09 Sep 2014, 23:28

Thank you very much John....
I now feel confident enough to go out and buy the Spektrum r/c :D
Going to collect my wife's boat too nxt Sunday.....also a Widget; that one comes with a different winch and with a radio.

Thx again,

Rob