Canadian IOM

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Rob Aitchison

Canadian IOM

Post by Rob Aitchison » 17 Jul 2004, 17:39

Just wondering if anyone has any opinion on the "Celebration" IOM. It is designed and built by Bob Sterne of British Columbia. I'm currently looking for a new boat and considering this design.

Rob Aitchison

Post by Rob Aitchison » 17 Jul 2004, 18:44

Oh by the way here is the web page for the Celebration

www.myrc.org/bobsboatyard/celebrat.htm

Rob Aitchison

Post by Rob Aitchison » 19 Jul 2004, 13:11

OK, I guess what I really want to know, is how important is a a "cockpit style deck. I guess the reasoning for it is to lower the main sail to almost deck edge level. I've also heard that the open transom sometimes causes problems going upwind during tacks.

I admit this is going to be my first IOM, I just want to start off with a good boat. Right now I'm racing soling one metres, however I used to have a Paradox Marblehead which my evil ex burned in the wood stove. I'm looking at the IOM as an almost affordable way to get back into a high performance model yacht.

ralph kelley

Post by ralph kelley » 19 Jul 2004, 17:03

Rob, here is what I have observed.

1. All the leading boats have lowered cockpits (i.e., TS2), or the mixed deck design in which the area around the mast and vang is lowered while the rest of the deck is at sheer level (i.e, Italko). I have not seen any sheer level deck boats w/o the lowered mast/vang pocket in recent years.

2. All the leading boats have keel stepped masts, or if the deck is very low -- near the waterline -- it might be stepped on the cockpit deck. Generally speaking, keel stepped mast boats seem to work best.

It is interesting that the Rules support keel stepped masts having mast rams versus the alternate of using check stays. Regardless of this Rule nuance, it is much easier to use a mast ram versus adjusting check stays, and a high forward deck and low cockpit arrangement lends itself to an effective mast ram arrangement.

3. Flat decks at sheer height are significantly easier to build, to outfit with servos and the like. They are easier to work on if they get damaged. conversely, it is more difficult to build the "skiff" design decks and outfit them with the servos and linkages. It is much difficult to get inside them if you need to fix something. Since most boats have raised foredecks and recessed cockpits, one must conclude that the builders think this extra effort is worthwhile.

4. I have not seen any problem with any deck design with respect to tacking ability. Boats like the TS2 might scoop up a bit of water on occasion, but it is quickly shed out the large, low transom.

5. The Bantock and Martin designs with the mast/vang "deck pocket" combine all worlds. Keel stepped masts, lowered rigs for better high wind range, smooth and high aft deck for greater access. The higher aft deck might be better from the standpoint of air flow -- downwash and that sort of thing -- but if so, it is likely to be a second or third order factor in performance.

Just one man's observation.

Ralph

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 19 Jul 2004, 18:03

Rob, Ralph covered it pretty well.
What I see as most important with the skiff deck is lowering the rig. I think my boat is as low as anyone has at the moment (not completely sure it's "right" yet).
BUT, it is clear that the IOM gets way overpowered before you can effectively go to the next rig, and if you can control this, you will be way ahead of the game. A flush deck does the opposite of this; it has a taller rig, so you'll be a bit more powerful in light air, but you'll also have to change rigs first, and then you'll likely be underpowered.
Bob Sterne is a very experienced builder. The hull shape looks good. If you are keen on building, maybe you could buy a kit, and build a skiff deck for it. My skiff deck has a large excess flange, and I'll bet you could fit it to his hull.
Good luck,
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Post by Chairman » 19 Jul 2004, 19:01

Rob Aitchison wrote:how important is a "cockpit" style deck
Hi Rob

Ralph and Steve have it spot-on. On the question of tacking the open cockpit designs, I've made a couple of comments on the cockpit cover shown on Brad Gibson's excellent "Disco" design in one of my Web pages at http://www.onemetre.net/Reports/Wor2003/Vancouvr.HTM
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

Rob Aitchison

Post by Rob Aitchison » 19 Jul 2004, 20:57

Thanks for the responses. I've contacted Bob and am discussing the possibility of lowering the rig visa vi a recessed pocket.

I like the look of the hull design and since I am Canadian would prefer a Canadian built boat. (also the delivery time is only 3 or 4 weeks!!)

Thanks again

RoyL

Post by RoyL » 20 Jul 2004, 07:08

Its a very sensitive topic asking for opinions about the performance of one design versus another. Most people are reluctant to say that a design is not up to par or that one person's work is worse than another.

If the plan is to purchase a new boat with the intention of racing, it is always a good idea to check a design's track record (how well has the boat done over time in a series of races in the hands of a variety of sailors) and if possible to actually watch an example perform in a regatta.
Also important is the cost/benefit ratio. Taking a risk on an unproven design for a few hundred dollars, for example, is very different than investing a few thousand dollars in a boat.

At the World's in Vancouver last year at least one of the Celebrations used the skiff type deck from one of Don Martin's MYOMY Canadian designs.

Rob Aitchison

Post by Rob Aitchison » 22 Jul 2004, 23:02

RoyL, My apologies are offered if I posted an offensive question. There is always the option of an email or private message if someone doesn't want their opinion broadcast. I am brand new to the IOM class, and for me this is a considerable investment. Just trying to make the right one.

Regards, Rob A

eddy

celebration

Post by eddy » 30 Oct 2004, 16:21

If you need you're question answered we havea person in our club METRO MARINE MODELLERS ..who has a celebration is name is keith rodgers..I wont post is number or e-mail..but if you can contact the club am sure you will get it
eddy

:oops: :oops:
I have the jeff byerly cockatooo which is illegal (the deck) for reasons i dont know ...it does not make the boat go any faster...get with it ppl

thats my grunt for the day
eddy
Metro Marine Modellers Club in toronto
Sail #589
IOM COCKATOO
SOLING
AC YACHT

dgarr75456

Post by dgarr75456 » 09 Dec 2004, 17:54

Rob--Did you get your Celebration? What kind of deck? How does it sail?