Instructions for a thunder tiger Voyager

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

martin2107

Instructions for a thunder tiger Voyager

Post by martin2107 » 28 Jul 2004, 14:30

Hi thanks to everybody who looked at my post last night the yacht has been identified as a Thunder Tiger Voyager.

Would anybody have a copy of the instructions for this boat and could possibly scan them for me as I need to replace the rigging.

Finally does anyone know where I can get spares for the yacht.

Once again many thanks guys for your help sorry but I am just starting out and this Forum is my only way of finding this info out.

kind regards

Martin :)

edmorales

Post by edmorales » 28 Jul 2004, 14:50

since this forum deals mostly with IOM's try the other forums like windpower http://center-of-effort.com/windpower/i ... ff64fc763f
and chad's site http://www.rcsailing.net/.
ed :idea:

martin2107

Post by martin2107 » 28 Jul 2004, 15:32

But isnt the Thunder Tiger Voyager a 1 mtere yacht ?

as I was told it conforms to the 1 mtere rules so therefore I can race it at 1 metre events if I register it?

edmorales

Post by edmorales » 28 Jul 2004, 16:53

martin2107,
true, it is a 1 meter boat,but it will have to conform to the IOM class rules if you intend to race it as an IOM
ed :idea:

martin2107

Post by martin2107 » 28 Jul 2004, 20:49

I have the one metere rulebook and I cannot find where this yacht does not conform can you please enligthen me as this has already been raced by its previous owner as 1 metre at Luton.!!!

regards

Martin

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Post by Chairman » 28 Jul 2004, 23:26

Hi Martin

One way to see if your boat is an IOM -- an International One Metre -- class model is to check her measurements against the IOM Class Rules which you have. For example, does she weight at least 4 kg? Do her sails conform to the measurements given, such as a mainsail leech between 1610 mm and 1620 mm and a mainsail foot between 350 mm and 360 mm? And so on.
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

martin2107

Post by martin2107 » 29 Jul 2004, 00:16

Hi Lester and thankyou for replying to my mail I have seen your website quite few times and its one of the things that inspired me to take up the sport. I understand the measurements of the hull etc and I was hoping to see if Sails etc? would be able to supply new sails and rigging for my boat am I right in thinking I can not use carbon fibre masts and booms.? Also do you think that you need all three sail rigs when you first start or can you get away with two sail rigs only.?

Many thanks

Martin Thompson

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Post by Chairman » 29 Jul 2004, 10:30

martin2107 wrote:I have seen your website quite few times and its one of the things that inspired me to take up the sport
Hi Martin

It is kind of you to say so! If you are starting out, many radio sailors suggest that you join a local club and get help from the old salts there. Assuming the club sails the IOM, you'll be able to get answers (and more!) on questions such as you are asking here.
am I right in thinking I can not use carbon fibre masts and booms.?
Correct. Wood or aluminium only.
Also do you think that you need all three sail rigs when you first start or can you get away with two sail rigs only.?
It depends somewhat where you generally sail. I've used my No.3 rig about 3 times in the last 3 years, and have used my No.2 rig about every 4th or 5th event. You can "get away" with only No.1 rig if you are happy to shrug your shoulders about an event you travel to and then find you can't sail...
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

ron

Post by ron » 29 Jul 2004, 18:52

BEFORE YOU PUT A BUNCH OF MONEY IN THIS PROJECT, BE SURE THAT THE BOAT IS AN IOM. IT COULD BE A U.S. ONE METER (IT IS CALLED THAT IN CANADA, ALSO).
SO: 1. GO TO LOCAL SAILORS AND FIND OUT WHAT THEY ARE SAILING.
2.GO TO AMYA.ORG AND FIND OUT IF ITS A US 1 METER.
3. FIND OUT FROM THUNDER TIGER WHAT OME METER IT IS, IF ANY.
4.WEIGH ALL THE PARTS. IOMs WEIGH 4 KILOS OR ABOUT 8.8 LBS.DON'T TRY TO MAKE AN UNDER WEIGHT BOAT AN IOM. TOO MUCH ADDED WEIGHT AND THE BOAT WON'T FLOAT RIGHT.
IF THE BOAT IS NOT AN IOM BUILD IT AND SAIL IT AS IS. IT SHOULD SAIL O.K.
I FOUND SAILING MODEL BOATS TO VERY ENTERTAINING. I HOPE IT IS THE SAME FOR YOU.
RON

RoyL

Post by RoyL » 30 Jul 2004, 00:13

I think Ron has this one right. I would add that even if the boat technically qualifies as an IOM, I wouldn't put too much money into the project. Thunder Tiger is very good at making mass produced product to a price, but its not up to the current level of performance IOMs. Of course it doesn't mean you can't have fun....

Arvin S.

Voyager IOM?

Post by Arvin S. » 30 Jul 2004, 10:39

Actually that is one thing that I am curious about. With the popularity of IOM in the world, I was wondering why these Model makers don't make more boat that will conform with IOM class rules.

It is very unfortunate in my opinion that the general idea (at least from what I feel from the discussion in this topic) is that if it is mass produced it might not be an IOM.

One thing Martin that you might want to check first is... Does the Voyager have a bow bumper? If not then that can be considered a good indicator that "it was not designed as an IOM" in the first place.

With all due respect to others who contributed to the list, I for one would like to encourage Martin to try making the Voyeger IOM compliant.

For starters, you really would need to make or buy an IOM rig. No you don't need all 3 rigs to start racing, but as Lester mentioned you might find yourself in a race condition with winds too strong for the A rig, in this case you will be overpowered and thus will not be competitive.

I do agree that there is a possibility that your Voyager might not be as competitive as other models, but in club racing and if you want to have a taste on how IOMs are raced, then go for it with your Voyager.

Other items to make sure you are compliant are, overall weight, Keel weight, and bow bumper. Which to me after the Rig are the most important aspects of the IOM class to comply with. I trust there are no carbon fiber in your Styrene/Plastic hull :)

The others have a great advice too, go to a club near you that sail IOMs and ask them to check your boat out for comliance, if you can talk to a measurer, the better :)

I really hope more commercial modellers make IOM kits, this will not only lower the entry level cost of IOMs (imagine an IOM that costs the same as a seawind), it will surely help the IOM class become bigger and bigger.

I have blabed enough!
TTFN
Arvin

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Re: Voyager IOM?

Post by Chairman » 30 Jul 2004, 13:04

Arvin S. wrote:I really hope more commercial modellers make IOM kits
Hi Arvin

You and me both! IOMICA is ready to co-operate with mass manufacturers. There is provision in the class rules to vary details of the hull construction to suit mass manufacturing methods, for example, if this seems desirable. But the bottom line is that, for all that the IOM is the most popular international class, it's numbers are way below the market that is achieved for the various Thunder Tiger, Kyosho, Graupner, and Robbe kit products. No one that we have talked to is willing to take the financial gamble...
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

Arvin S.

mass produced IOMs (was Voyager)

Post by Arvin S. » 31 Jul 2004, 07:20

No one that we have talked to is willing to take the financial gamble...
I apologize in advance this is now not at all related to Voyager, (wonder if I should post another topic for this?)

It is unfortunate that no one wants to take a gamble, which really isn't a gamble actually. If someone make a very affordable boat (say cost of seawind, etc.) that will comply with the IOM rules, the worse case that can happen it becoming one of the one design classes (that is if performance and cost is good). The best case is that it will be known as "entry level IOM" for those who don't have home building skills like myself. It can become a club boat while again being IOM class legal. The concept is the same as our Local TABO IOM, which will in effect be "almost" One design until variations with appendages and stuff turns up or other IOM hulls start joining in. Maybe the fear of manufacturers is that the design might turn out to quickly be uncompetitive or not competitive from the start. If that happens then all it means is that they should design a better model :)

If they just scale up the seawind a bit to handle 4kg and a bigger rig, I'm sure it will be well accepted if proven to be at least competitive against entry level IOMs. Hmmm, you did not mention Victor boats, wonder if he is willing to consider making a moulded styrene IOM :)

Here is to "idealism" :)

TTFN
Arvin

Steve

Post by Steve » 25 Oct 2004, 00:15

Why can't Martin make a IOM rig and sails, put them on the voyager and try her out? If the boat doesn't perform, the rig can them be transfered onto his next IOM. The money won't be wasted, as all rigs are pretty much the same and conform to the same rules. He will also be getting the experience and fun of racing in the class. This is how I started out only 3 months ago. I am now on my first build... A Box Kite.

Good lucky Martin :wink: