Carbon Fiber Anything

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Ralph Knowles
Location: Dundee, Scotland, GBR1876/ GBR 2182/GBR 2167/GBR 1907/GBR 3367

Post by Ralph Knowles » 14 Nov 2004, 03:00

Hi Bfox1,

The rule of thumb appears to be that if the part can move, or be moved, then it is not part of, or, a structural member of the hull. Therefore the steering rod, rudder,keel fin, servo arm, or a movable part of the sheeting post are allowed to be of carbon construction. The likes of the fixed part of the sheeting post, rudder tube, or anything else fixed such as the servo tray, even though it may be unshipped, are deemed to be structural parts as they are fixed directly to the hull and/or deck.
Hope this clears up this point.
I had the same problems refurbishing an old Mandarin IOM a few of years ago which had been built with some fixed carbon bits. I am now legal.

Cheers
Ralph

Roy Thompson

Post by Roy Thompson » 14 Nov 2004, 23:20

I can't be absolutely sure, but I recall something about carbon rudder posts are ok if they're not fixed top and bottom to the hull (as in skiff type hulls that have the rudder link outside the hull not internal) since they don't affect the strength or structural stability of the hull. I think this maybe an important point but I can't remeber exactly where I saw this discussion.
Roy Thompson
"WE DON'T SEE THINGS AS THEY ARE, WE SEE THINGS AS WE ARE" A.N.