Foil suppliers

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

kgrande

Foil suppliers

Post by kgrande » 20 Nov 2004, 17:54

Hi all,

I need some help deciding on which foils to buy for the IOM I am building. So far I am aware of the Bantock foils which are obviously very good, but also quite expensive. Then there are the foils from www.rcsegel.de which are a lot cheaper, but their performance is unknown to me. Then I understand that Dave Creed makes some foils, but I don't know anything about them or how to contact him.
Any thoughts on these foil suppliers, or is there anyone else making good foils out there?
How important are the foils?

Thanks,

Kristoffer

Andrew Baak

Foils

Post by Andrew Baak » 20 Nov 2004, 19:11

Hello I am also interested in foils for a boat i am considering building (first time) I was wondering if anyone has tried using an old windsurfing fin with a tuttle box? Just a thought considering I have a few kicking around. If not when you buy a foil does it usually come with the box it fits into on the boat or do you have to make that as well. Can anyone post a material list for me as well(including small parts.
thanks

Bruce Andersen
USA NCA Officer
Sail number: USA 16
Club: Famous Potatoes Sailing Club
Design: Brit Pop

Post by Bruce Andersen » 21 Nov 2004, 07:06

you might try Mike Eldred - his carbon work is superb and his fins are fast.