wire shrouds & radio interference

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Patrick Bigand

wire shrouds & radio interference

Post by Patrick Bigand » 02 Dec 2004, 11:57

I am about to build the A rig for my Triple Crown and I am wondering what material to use for shrouds and stays. I am looking at single strand stainless steel wire but I heard somewhere it creates radio interference. Any advice welcome, thanks.
Patrick Bigand
Enghien - France

ralph kelley

Post by ralph kelley » 02 Dec 2004, 18:31

I have never had any problems with metal spars or rigging. I run my RX antenna just under the foredeck and never had any problems

Bruce Andersen
USA NCA Officer
Sail number: USA 16
Club: Famous Potatoes Sailing Club
Design: Brit Pop

Post by Bruce Andersen » 03 Dec 2004, 05:56

I've been using 0.025 inch SS solid wire for rigging for a number of years without any interference. I run the antenna through a plastic tube to keep it straight and either glue the tube to the underside of the deck or simply let it rest in the bilge.

Riku

Re: wire shrouds & radio interference

Post by Riku » 05 Dec 2004, 15:19

Patrick Bigand wrote:I am about to build the A rig for my Triple Crown and I am wondering what material to use for shrouds and stays. I am looking at single strand stainless steel wire but I heard somewhere it creates radio interference. Any advice welcome, thanks.
If you wrap the antenna around a steel wire it may change the antenna impedance and deteriorate the receiver sensitivity considerably. Steel wires as such never create radio interference!!
Riku Lindström