Multiple Fins and Rigs

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

RoyL

Multiple Fins and Rigs

Post by RoyL » 21 Dec 2004, 04:35

There is an interesting trend developing in the class. Under our existing rules it is permitted to have multiple fin/bulb combinations of different depths and weights. It is also permitted to have multiple suits for each rig cut to minimum and maximum dimensions and each made out of different materials. So long as only one fin/bulb combination and only three rigs are used at a single regatta all is ok.

What this could mean in the near future is that competitive owners will have to have a light air and a heavy air fin/bulb and multiple sails (beyond the simple three). If it looks like the race will be in light air, at the bottom of the A rig, the short fin/bulb with the maximum size rig will be selected. If the race is run in heavy air, the long/heavy fin/bulb will be selected and the lower area, heavier material A rig will be the norm.

The question, put simply, is this a direction the members want the class to go in? The rules could be changed to say, allow only a single fin/bulb and three rigs per boat per year (of course with an exception for legitimate breakage). Currently, there aren't many using multiple rigs and fin/bulbs so the issue isn't hard to address now. In a few years, though, I think dealing with this issue will be lot more complicated.

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Re: Multiple Fins and Rigs

Post by Chairman » 21 Dec 2004, 09:54

RoyL wrote:is this a direction the members want the class to go in?
Terrific "heads up" from Roy on this. Comments from all very welcome.
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

edmorales

Post by edmorales » 21 Dec 2004, 10:52

hmmm....spiraling armsrace?
ed :?:

Bruce Andersen
USA NCA Officer
Sail number: USA 16
Club: Famous Potatoes Sailing Club
Design: Brit Pop

Post by Bruce Andersen » 24 Dec 2004, 09:36

The Marblehead class (prior to the appearance of the Skapels) transmogrified into this type of class, with top skippers coming to races with a 'quiver' of rigs and keel/bulb combos. Makes travel harder and staying competitive much more complicated and expensive.

I would support some sort of limitation on the number of keel/bulb/rudder combos allowed per season or some reasonable length of time. Since many of us in colder climates tinker with our boats over the winter, perhaps some sort of annual re-measurement could be proposed, with stamps on the fin/bulb combo for that period.

Signatus

Post by Signatus » 24 Dec 2004, 13:13

Bruce Andersen wrote:I would support some sort of limitation on the number of keel/bulb/rudder combos allowed per season or some reasonable length of time. (...) perhaps some sort of annual re-measurement could be proposed, with stamps on the fin/bulb combo for that period.

I think it is important to exist some limit and equality between skippers with "limit" or "no limit" budget.

It should be like choosing tyres for a car race... you can't change them while you're racing... only if you take a pit-stop and that costs some "time" (or something else...) to the player...

The objective should be that the main diference is made by the skipper... not his "super-dupper auto-excelence" sail boat.

8) :D

P.S - It's like when FIA prohibited the Active-Suspention on F1 cars and other active driver auto-aid systems.

Nigel

Post by Nigel » 24 Dec 2004, 13:16

Hmmm, interesting point. Two comments / thoughts on this:

1.) What about people that not only have multiple rigs and keels but multiple boat designs? For example, M. Scharmer sailed a minimum of three different boats during our ranking season and I know of others that have more than one boat. :oops:

2.) Is the IOM class going to regulate itself to death? For example, we have a class rule defining aluminum grades for the mast, which with reasonalble methods can not be checked. Speaking for the German NCA I can say that especially newcomers to the class are frustrated with the strong limitations of the CR and I am worried, that in the near future we are going to start to loose out to other classes.

A very happy Christmas to everbody and all the best for 2005.
Nigel Winkley
GER 87

Signatus

Post by Signatus » 24 Dec 2004, 14:32

What's the IOM Class main objective!? The main goal!?

Investigation is important and it should be centered on aerodynamics and sailling skills.

It should be the "Man" behind the "Boat" or the other way arround???
I think we are in a RC (Radio Controled) Boat Class... not SCwAP (Self Controled with Auto-Pilot) Boats :D

Is it positive to spend time and money in discussions abaut if "this" material or the "other one" is legal with "this" or "that" aplication....???

Should you spend between 2 to 3 times our monthly salary :shock: just to get yourself to enter this class!? Is this what the international authorithies whant??? :oops:

Arvin S.

multiple fins and rigs

Post by Arvin S. » 04 Jan 2005, 11:45

Happy New year everyone!
Hmmm Good Question Roy! :)

I agree that it might cause a spiralling arms race, I do also agree though that it might actually self regulate because of travel limitations. I understand there is no rule against what Roy described.

I think one reason for this is that if we regulate this, it will actually limit further the "closed development class" concept of the IOM. That is one of the main characteristics of the IOM class, that it is semi developmental, specially on the hull and appendages. So the question is, are we leaning towards trying to make the class nearer to one design? Or do we try to continue to keep things more simple?

In my opinion the IOM class is not strictly about the man behind the boat, I think there is also the boat behind the man. Because if you think about it, if really want to prove who is the best "sailor" then we should be racing in one design classes (a one meter one design if you like) :)

The IOM is more of an americas cup racing boat than say a Far40 one design.

My conclusion, in order to make the rules uncomplicated, lets not regulate this. It will just add more to problems of organizers, measurers, etc.

My two cents!
TTFN
Arvin