Cold weather storage

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Greg Vasileff

Cold weather storage

Post by Greg Vasileff » 02 Dec 2003, 19:16

Thought this might be a good place to ask. Does it damage our fiberglass HULLs, or carbon since I’m asking, to store them in an area that is not heated during the winter. This is in the top of my shop, well protected from all elements other then our freezing winter temperatures.

Thanks

added the word HULLs
Greg V

awallin

Re: cold weather storage

Post by awallin » 03 Dec 2003, 08:59

Greg Vasileff wrote:Thought this might be a good place to ask. Does it damage our fiberglass HULLs, or carbon since I’m asking, to store them in an area that is not heated during the winter. This is in the top of my shop, well protected from all elements other then our freezing winter temperatures.
In Finland we have stored Ms and IOMs in non heated places. Winter temp is anyhwere from 0 to -20 C usually...
I would not store batteries or electronics this way. Also, I would not go and touch and bend laminates when they are cold.
It's probably a good idea to get rid of any water before storing this way, especially between fin and bulb and other hard to reach places...
I've been told that Polyester resin has a much higher thermal expansion(contraction) than epoxy so if your hulls are of polyester then be careful.
----------------
Anders Wallin

Richard Ellis

freezing storage

Post by Richard Ellis » 11 Dec 2003, 15:20

Fiberglass boats can be stored in freezing conditions, but some precausions must be observed. It is pretty obvious that any water left in the hull after sailing must be drained. Fiberglass does absorb water given time; up to 3% of boat weight can be drawn into the matrix. If you left a boat with water standing inside it during the warm months, some may be absorbed and when it freezes, it will cause some internal weakening of the fiberglass. The conclusion is don't leave water inside the hull. Other concerns are for water trapped inside of servo housings. During freezing conditions the drops of water may expand enough to crack circuit boards.
Generally fiberglass is more damaged by storage in hot areas than in cold. The heat will produce outgassing of certain resins and cause the fiberglass to become brittle.
Rich Ellis

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Re: freezing storage

Post by Chairman » 14 Dec 2003, 11:04

Richard Ellis wrote:Fiberglass does absorb water given time; up to 3% of boat weight can be drawn into the matrix. If you left a boat with water standing inside it during the warm months, some may be absorbed
Hi Rich

I pull off my deck patches between regattas, and the hull breathes and seems to dry out inside quite well. Will this procedure also make sure any moisture in the fibreglass matrix evaporates? Or do I need to put the hull into a warm place to make sure it really dries out before it goes into the freezing garage?
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

awallin

Re: freezing storage

Post by awallin » 14 Dec 2003, 12:22

Chairman wrote:
Richard Ellis wrote:Fiberglass does absorb water given time; up to 3% of boat weight can be drawn into the matrix. If you left a boat with water standing inside it during the warm months, some may be absorbed
Hi Rich

I pull off my deck patches between regattas, and the hull breathes and seems to dry out inside quite well. Will this procedure also make sure any moisture in the fibreglass matrix evaporates? Or do I need to put the hull into a warm place to make sure it really dries out before it goes into the freezing garage?
Hi, just an idea to test this: weigh your boat on an accurate scale before going sailing and then after. If your scale reads in 1g or 0,1g increments I would assume that you could detect any extra water in the boat.
----------------
Anders Wallin