IOM Pix from IOM pre Worlds, Sunshine Coast Australia

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

nick lin

IOM Pix from IOM pre Worlds, Sunshine Coast Australia

Post by nick lin » 01 Mar 2005, 12:03

I have uploaded a lot of pix of this comp held last weekend (26 and 27 Feb) at www.oziomz.com

regards

Nick

Roy Thompson

Post by Roy Thompson » 02 Mar 2005, 21:39

Great pics, and looks like a great place too, lets hope the weather is the same in September - that'll be 'winter' down there, no?
Where can we get reliable weather/climate stats for your part of the world?
And what design is AUS 91 (Assassin) please?
Roy Thompson
"WE DON'T SEE THINGS AS THEY ARE, WE SEE THINGS AS WE ARE" A.N.

nick lin

weather in Australia

Post by nick lin » 03 Mar 2005, 04:19

The Australian gov weather site is www.bom.gov.au

or, for a monthly wind rose avg at Brisbane (100k South) at 0900 or 1500hrs http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/ ... _map.shtml

I am not sure if this wind rose takes into account sea and land breeze effect. Seemed to me that there should be more easterly in it. You have been warned! Arthur Hodges of Mooloolaba club would know.

September is the tail end of winter (actually it is "spring", the sun pretty well over the equator and another 23 degrees south to go).

"Assassin" is a Blowfly and I think it may have won the best prepared yacht (www.blowflyyachts.com) and is a 196mm beam (ie narrowish) design.

September is an ideal time to sail in SE Qld and day time temps of 20 - 25 C can be expected (very approx 70 - 80 F), probably with 10 - 20 knots. Having said that, don't hold it against me if it rains, freezes, and has zephyr like breezes.

Nick www.oziomz.com

Roy Thompson

Post by Roy Thompson » 03 Mar 2005, 11:11

Thanks for all the info, helps us all make some decisions.
Cheers.
Roy Thompson
"WE DON'T SEE THINGS AS THEY ARE, WE SEE THINGS AS WE ARE" A.N.