So many servos to choose from?

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Andrew Baak

So many servos to choose from?

Post by Andrew Baak » 27 Mar 2005, 01:21

Hello
I am just putting the finishing touches on my triple crown that I have built over the winter. Before I secure my rear deck I was wondering trying to figure out what servos I need for the rudder and sails. I plan on using a sail winch mounted through the deck, so that is decided, but there are so many to chose from for the rudder. Is the one that comes with the radio good enough or do I need a bigger and faster one. Any insite would be helpful. Also has anyone tryed using a pistal grip radio? and are they effective.

spaldi01

Post by spaldi01 » 27 Mar 2005, 08:47

Hi Andrew
It depends on how big your wallet is. The standard servos appear to work OK but the servo horns they come with are a bit weak and can flex. I use a Hitec HS475. This servo is ball raced and slightly higher torque but extremely intolerant to water. A lot of people appear to be starting to use digital servos and the HSC5997TG would be my ultimate choice if money were no object.

Chris

Ralph Knowles
Location: Dundee, Scotland, GBR1876/ GBR 2182/GBR 2167/GBR 1907/GBR 3367

Post by Ralph Knowles » 28 Mar 2005, 00:30

Andrew,

Have a look at www.kbits.co.uk

Ken Binks has been dealing in all sorts of control 'bits' for some years now and has written some good informed technical details of both Hitech and Futaba servo's and winches. Give him a call after reading his publication, and I am sure he will be glad to help.
It would be good if you could give your country of residence so that people could give you a more local responce.

Cheers

Ralph

Andrew Baak

Post by Andrew Baak » 28 Mar 2005, 03:43

thank you Chris and Ralph
I live in Canada, Calgary to be exact ( home of the World famous Calgary Stampede) little promo. I am on a tight budget, I do not plan on racing right now, I do not know of any IOMs in the area, but decided to build an IOM just in case for the future. It has been good fun so far.
Please keep th input coming it is much appreciated. Please give comments on if people use the pistal grips and if they are any good, as there are more RC cars here, so they are more available.

Ralph Knowles
Location: Dundee, Scotland, GBR1876/ GBR 2182/GBR 2167/GBR 1907/GBR 3367

Post by Ralph Knowles » 28 Mar 2005, 05:28

Hi again Andrew,

Ref pistol grips. I dont know of anybody who uses a pistol grip. I dont think the squeeze of a finger could be as sensitive as the slightest touch of a thumb, especially on the steering stick. If you have ever sailed a dinghy or a yacht you will understand that steering by tiller requires a very sensitive touch to get the best of performance out of the boat. the same applies for a sailing model, but we are talking sometimes of stick movements of fractions of a millimeter. All the model racing champions use a two stick TX of various sophistication, but the simplest two stick costing very few bucks will be OK for someone new to the sport. There are quite a few IOM sailors over west from you, Vancouver and 'theIsland'. Don Martin etc. They sail at R Van. YC and I think there is someone at Sydney on the Island. Might be worth an email or two. I have seen their contributions to this forum or others, on occasion. The IOM World Championships were at Vancouver two years ago.

Good luck with your TC. I planked up a Bantock 'Kite' a couple of years ago and have had a lot of fun with it.

Cheers

Ralph

Bruce Andersen
USA NCA Officer
Sail number: USA 16
Club: Famous Potatoes Sailing Club
Design: Brit Pop

Post by Bruce Andersen » 28 Mar 2005, 06:46

since almost everyone uses traditional 2 stick radios, the other disadvantage of pistol grip radios is that when your radio dies, someone will certainly have a stick radio to loan you and you won't have to re-train your brain to use it!

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 28 Mar 2005, 08:21

Hello, Andrew.
Welcome to the class!
I would not recommend a pistol grip Tx. A simple 2 channel, 2 stick radio is fine to start with. I'll also point out that using a stock, standard sized servo is also fine to start with for steering. Later, as your skills progress, you may wish to have a stronger, faster, or better centering servo (all of the mentioned means more investment). Futaba is the only company that advertises and warranties "water resistant" servos, but they will cost more. If your boat is dry, you don't need them. Bruce also has a very good point. Someone will always have a spare, and I don't know of anyone that would not offer it to you if you were out and needed to borrow it. Get used to the sticks instead of the pistol. That's where you'll want to be down the road. If cost is an issue for you, be sure to shop Ebay.
Have fun!
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548