Hard chined hulls

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Jorge

Hard chined hulls

Post by Jorge » 27 Mar 2005, 15:48

Hello,

I am new to the IOM world and I am looking for feedback about hard chined hulls. The only designs I could find some information are the Boxkite and the Woodpecker, is there any other one around ?

Can anybody please tell me how these kind of hulls sail ? Are the competitive against round hulls ?

Any other comment you can provide will be highly appreciated !

Thanks

Best regards from Argentina
Jorge Caviglia
Argentina
ARG-305

edmorales

Post by edmorales » 27 Mar 2005, 16:39

pros: quick and easy to build, cost effective
cons: higher surface area, not as quick as round hulls in light winds.
ed

Brett

Post by Brett » 28 Mar 2005, 00:11

Chine hulls can be competitive.
I have some CAD plans here for a timber chine hull close to the one that finnished 4th at the last Euro Champs.
Brett McCormack

awallin

Post by awallin » 28 Mar 2005, 08:35

I have the plans for "Scharming Mk8" which was Michael Scharmers boat from some time ago (I understand he won the german nationals with it)
I could publish it on my "IOM-Info" page if there is sufficient interest and I find time to actually do it...

there is also an older hard chined boat called "Simplet" designed by Charles Detriche. The plan is sold by MMI (www.traplet.com)

Anders

edmorales

Post by edmorales » 28 Mar 2005, 09:03

another design is "why not" from MM May 1993, designed by john spencer
ed

Muzza

Post by Muzza » 28 Mar 2005, 23:54

I have an own-design double chine IOM nearing completion. I designed it after deciding to build a more conventional IOM (also to my own design) which was to be my first home-built attempt in this class. I got cold feet and decided to build a double chine version first as a low risk test of my building skills to insure I got my calculations, weights and strengths etc correct before commiting to building the "proper" hull. I'm at the stage of fitting the deck. The hull has been floated and sits as expected and at the desired displacement.

She's pretty coventional, 240mm beam at deck, 189mm max beam at waterline. She has more volume forward than the "proper" design that will follow, a slightly straighter rocker aft, and carries her beam at least at deck level, well aft. The project has stalled somewhat while I'm in my busy season at the office, but I'm happy to share the design and photos for comparison purposes if you are interested. Obviously I can't recommend actually building her, until my protoype is in the water and tested.

Here's a link to a picture after fibreglassing the hull.

http://img208.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img208& ... sed2fg.jpg
Murray Buckman
USA 274

ChrisJ

chine hulls

Post by ChrisJ » 04 Apr 2005, 12:52

Hello Jorge

You may wish to know that CAYM has copies of the plans of Simplet and Boxkite, both chine hulls, as I sent them over when the plans were published
Ask Juan Miguel Roig to see them.

When is the Argentine ULY champs this year? The CAYM website still has last years dates on it.

Regards
Chris Jackson