Spektrum RC on Futaba 3VC

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Krister

Post by Krister » 08 Dec 2005, 13:39

I´ve spoken to Horizonhobby, and they verify that the DX6 uses two channels, which means that "only" 40 sailors can sail at the same time (if everybody uses the DX6-system). Those people who uses christalls are not affected.

But honestly how many times are we 40 or more sailors where all is using the DX6?

Horizonhobby also believed that the antennas can be mounted inside the boat. They stated that they have been flying in much worse conditions, with the antennas inside the areoplane, then we never will get close to. Guess we just have to wait and see and try it out.

The system will be available in stores 2-3 weeks from now.

//Krister

awallin

Post by awallin » 08 Dec 2005, 18:05

I think we were three that sailed with the Spektrum in Mooloolaba (myself, Rob Guyatt, and Ken Binks). I predict that it will catch on pretty quickly so I would not be surprised if we have 20-40 skippers using it at the next big international event...

As I understand it the receivers will not lock onto any other transmitter than the correct one. So what happens when the 41st or 80th person switches on the radio is that the servos just don't move anywhere and you will have to wait for someone to switch off their Tx.

AW

Krister

Post by Krister » 09 Dec 2005, 08:19

Hi Anders

How many sailors is there in one heat? over 40? Do you think there will be a problem in the future with the spectrum??

Will you recomend IOM sailors not to choose the new DX6?

Could it be an idea to limit the number of contestens in one heat to a maximum i.e 35? And if there are more than 74 sailors, just have a third "C" heat?

A good idea, I think, is to allow a number of sailors (i.e 5) on shore to be able to test their equipment when they are not racing.

Regards
/Krister

awallin

Post by awallin » 09 Dec 2005, 08:35

Krister wrote:Hi Anders
How many sailors is there in one heat? over 40? Do you think there will be a problem in the future with the spectrum??
We've had 20 boats per heat now in Vancouver ´03, Arcos ´04 and Mooloolaba ´05.
It worked really well in Vancouver where the overview from the control area was exceptionally good. When an elevated control area is not available I think 16/heat would be better.
Will you recomend IOM sailors not to choose the new DX6?
I have not tried it so can't say anything. For the foreseeable future (maybe 2-3 years) there will be lots of 27, 40 MHz etc. sailors around so I don't think there will be a problem with too many spektrum systems anytime soon.
Could it be an idea to limit the number of contestens in one heat to a maximum i.e 35? And if there are more than 74 sailors, just have a third "C" heat?
A good idea, I think, is to allow a number of sailors (i.e 5) on shore to be able to test their equipment when they are not racing.
Regards
/Krister
The number is already limited to 20 for events using HMS.

I think in RC car racing with lots of competitors they test/tune their cars on the bench with a cable between Tx and Rx so no radio transmission needed (and strictly none allowed I guess).

Anders

Nigel

Post by Nigel » 27 Jan 2006, 19:11

Hi All,

it looks as if the 2,4 Ghz market is really starting to move. Futaba is offering a modul for the FF3VC(S) amongst others.

In addition they are also offering a receiver with two internal antennas in a small housing waying 14 grams.

Nigel Winkley
GER 87

ron

Post by ron » 27 Jan 2006, 20:04

Where did you get the info. I went to the Futaba website and found nothing. Thank you, Ron
RON LOCKE
USA 08

Nigel

Post by Nigel » 28 Jan 2006, 11:14

Hi Ron,

I got the info of the Robbe website. They are the German distributor for Futaba.

Cheers
Nigel Winkley
GER 87

Rob Guyatt

Post by Rob Guyatt » 31 Jan 2006, 13:39

Hi folks,
I've just made some mods to the SmartWinch and Spektrum compatibility info on my web site.

http://www.rmgsw.com

Also just received a DX6 system. Looking forward to giving it a go on the weekend. The tx is based on the JR 6xx series computer radios.

Feedback from others who've already used the DX6 is that range is good.

Cheers

Gregg Kelly

Spektrum DX6

Post by Gregg Kelly » 01 Feb 2006, 17:48

I've installed the DX6 system on my boat and have sailed it three times in the last week without a single problem. Yesterday I tried to find the limit of the range and ran out of lake. I paced the distance off as best I could and I figure I was out about 1000 ft. The place I was standing put the radio about 8 feet off the water. No obstructions except for a few ducks.

My Rx was installed with velcro to the underside of the screw-on lid that houses my battery. The antennas were pushed through the top of the lid and inside flexible plastic tubing. The antennas/tubing are anchored to the side rails on either side of the boat. I figure on a beat to weather I always have one antennae pointing up.

I posted a picture in a messge in the US IOM forum.
Not a single problem yet and range is well beyond my capability to sail.

Cheers,
Gregg Kelly USA 63

awallin

Post by awallin » 02 Feb 2006, 18:23

not much info available on the futaba system yet, but apparently it has been sighted at the Nurnberg hobby expo:

----------------
Anders Wallin

Peter Allen

Post by Peter Allen » 03 Feb 2006, 17:05

Wisper has it that Spektrum is coming with a sailboat specific system,dont know if it's a complete radio or an Rx upgrade,you know how it is, mumm's the word.Peter

Peter Allen

Post by Peter Allen » 06 Feb 2006, 14:22

Barry go back and take a look,having done the antenna extension that Rob and Anders recommend i still had range issues with placement of the Tx antenna,it turned out to be the antenna wire being run over the board inside the module as illustrated on the Spektrum site,now all seems to be fine not a glitch.Spektrum claimed that the antenna coax would be too short on the Futaba/HiTec version which i found not to be true there was plenty of wire to reroute it Regards Peter

Peter Allen

Post by Peter Allen » 10 Feb 2006, 16:31

Barry,
soldering on the new antenna on to the Rx is pretty tight as in a small area to work,if you're not comfortable with it get the coax wire with the instructions from Rob and have an electronic store do it for you cant take but all of 20 mins,pay attention to what Rob says removing the wire,when it comes out just carefully scrape off the glue and the terminal becomes exposed,i used some flux to aid in a quick bond and not have to really heat up the board.The module issue is easy just unscrew the case and look at how the wire is routed and follow the instructions that are on the Spektrum site and correct if needed,there's only the bind plug cover that can drop out of the module when u open it,Mine works just great now.Peter