Suppliers

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Andy Stevenson
GBR NCA Officer

Suppliers

Post by Andy Stevenson » 16 Sep 2005, 11:28

Greetings

My return to radio sailing after a good number of years has seen me the proud owner of a second hand IOM, previously sailed Marbleheads when they where roughly the size of your average whale!

The IOM is most second-hand in the sails & rigging dept. Whilst I have no doubt of the quality of Sailsetc equipment, the budget won't stretch that far, and besides, half the fun is in the making.

To the question then. Where do those folk amongst us who make their own rigs get the materials (preferably on line, but not essential)? I've found several places for sail cloth of various types. I'm struggling for Aluminium spars. How hard can it be to find round & rectangular section Ally? I'd also be interested in where I might find small metric nuts, washers, bolts, eye bolts, bottle screws etc. (metric M2, M3 & M4).

Thanks all.

PS. If this post makes no sense at all it’s because I’m in the middle of reading Marchaj & my brain's fried!
Andy Stevenson
"A little pain never hurt anyone!" Sam, aged 11

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Re: Suppliers

Post by Chairman » 16 Sep 2005, 12:49

andy111 wrote:To the question then. Where do those folk amongst us who make their own rigs get the materials
Hi Andy

One of my Web pages lists a couple of UK suppliers to radio sailors, and the pages of Marine Modelling International will list more general model boat suppliers:

http://www.onemetre.net/Links/UKSupply/UKSupply.htm

Also check out the MYA list of suppliers:

http://www.mya-uk.org.uk/suppliers/suppliers.html
I'm struggling for Aluminium spars. How hard can it be to find round & rectangular section Ally?
You *might* find what you want in B&Q, but unlikely. SAILSetc is your only realistic supplier if you do not want to join together somewhat overweight 1000 mm lengths.
I'd also be interested in where I might find small metric nuts, washers, bolts, eye bolts, bottle screws etc. (metric M2, M3 & M4)
A useful start is "Model Fixings":

http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/
If this post makes no sense at all it’s because I’m in the middle of reading Marchaj & my brain's fried!
Ah... (smile) That'd fry anyone's brains...
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

Andy Stevenson
GBR NCA Officer

Post by Andy Stevenson » 16 Sep 2005, 14:23

Lester,

Thanks for the links, and the quick response. I've had a good old browse of most of the online links with little in the way of joy. Still need to make a few phone calls to the less net-savvy supplies listed.
You *might* find what you want in B&Q, but unlikely. SAILSetc is your only realistic supplier if you do not want to join together somewhat overweight 1000 mm lengths.
Oh yes, B&Q, that was fun:

Me: Do you stock aluminium tube to this specification [Shows assistant sheet with specs]?
Assistant: Err...
Me: [waits] It's just aluminium tube 11mm dia 2m long.
Assistant: Umm...
Me: [waits, again] And rectangular section, 20mm x 5mm.
Assistant: Got that gold stuff plumbers use.
Me: Copper.
Assistant: Nah, fink it's brass.
Me: Not aluminium then?
Assistant: Err, no.
Me: So, do you have aluminium?
Assistant: Dunno.
Me: Is there anyone here who would know?
Assistant: Exits [presumably to find someone].

He was gone longer than I was prepared to wait. Browsing the isles didn't reveal anything suitable & I doubt they have stock that's not on the shelves. Next time I have half a day to kill I might try again, with a tape recorder.

The length is the sticking point with masts, I’ve come up with several possibilities only to find that the max length they’ll do is 1000mm. I really don’t want to join two lengths.
Yes, that's a good start, their heli bearings look promising for my soon to be ball-raced goosekneck. An integral part of which is an M2 eyebolt, can't seem to find any of those.

I may end up having to get a few bits from Sailsetc, masts for example, but I'll be right upset if I have to buy the booms from there. Not that I have anything against Grahams booms you understand. Nor that I think I can do a better job. I just want to make my own. The fact that I’m on a budget also enters into it.

There is somewhere locally that I can get sheet ally, I may look into making a wooden former & “rolling my ownâ€
Andy Stevenson

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Post by Chairman » 16 Sep 2005, 15:14

andy111 wrote:The length is the sticking point with masts
Hi Andy

Yes. My guess is you could try *really* hard and find a supply of "proper" tube, only to discover it is 1000 mm ...
their heli bearings look promising for my soon to be ball-raced gooseneck
Great! Please post a picture here when its done, if you can.
An integral part of which is an M2 eyebolt, can't seem to find any of those
Yes. You'll have to make 'em yourself (how is your silver soldering, by the way...(smile)?) if you don't want to buy any from SAILSetc or Housemartin. Sometimes I've seen something in a large Hobby Store intended for R/C cars that might be adapted (drill a hole through a ball-ended bolt for example), and sometimes something from the Graupner catalogue intended for scale sail models (but strength always an issue here). M2 eyebolt sounds too small/weak for an IOM, though. M2.5 minimum perhaps...
I just want to make my own. The fact that I’m on a budget also enters into it
Arrowshafts are popular for jib booms, and can also be used for mainsail booms. Tom Butler (AUS) had home-rolled booms
http://www.onemetre.net/Reports/Wor2003/Vancouvr.HTM
he told me you "only" needed to make a nice smooth *strong* mandrel first to roll the sheet around. I think he used steel tube to make a mandrel.

Michael Scharmer has wooden booms (and a wooden mast!), but he is a skilled woodworker and knows how to design, cut, and clamp up and cure a multi-layer glue-impregnated laminate of different woods... http://www.onemetre.net/Reports/Nats2004/Nats04.htm
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

Andy Stevenson
GBR NCA Officer

Post by Andy Stevenson » 16 Sep 2005, 15:57

Chairman wrote: Yes. My guess is you could try *really* hard and find a supply of "proper" tube, only to discover it is 1000 mm ...
That's what I've found so far I'm afraid. Still hunting 'tho. I'm a long way from giving up yet (if ever!).
Great! Please post a picture here when its done, if you can.
Only if it works :D
Yes. You'll have to make 'em yourself (how is your silver soldering, by the way...(smile)?) if you don't want to buy any from SAILSetc or Housemartin. Sometimes I've seen something in a large Hobby Store intended for R/C cars that might be adapted (drill a hole through a ball-ended bolt for example), and sometimes something from the Graupner catalogue intended for scale sail models (but strength always an issue here). M2 eyebolt sounds too small/weak for an IOM, though. M2.5 minimum perhaps...
Yes, I was toying with the idea of going to M3 for strength, you've tipped the balance, thanks. Still means I'll likely have to go to Sailsetc - 1.10UKP for 1 M3 eyebolt! Grr.
Arrowshafts are popular for jib booms, and can also be used for mainsail booms.
Right, I've seen a few references to arrowshafts for booms, but I like the idea of using the extra 20mm "sail area". If the class rules allow it, let's have it. I did have the thought that carbon arrow shafts would make good spreaders 'tho (shortened, obviously).
Tom Butler (AUS) had home-rolled booms
http://www.onemetre.net/Reports/Wor2003/Vancouvr.HTM
he told me you "only" needed to make a nice smooth *strong* mandrel first to roll the sheet around. I think he used steel tube to make a mandrel.
That's more the sort of thing I've got in mind. Although I'd much rather start from a 20x5mm extrusion, or something close, than have to form one from sheet.
Michael Scharmer has wooden booms (and a wooden mast!), but he is a skilled woodworker and knows how to design, cut, and clamp up and cure a multi-layer glue-impregnated laminate of different woods...
Quite, whilst it's certainly an option, it'll require a definite skills upgrade! I've always been happier working with metal than wood anyway

Thanks for the response.
Andy Stevenson