bulb shapes

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

edmorales

bulb shapes

Post by edmorales » 17 Mar 2006, 02:22

it seems that IOM technology is way ahead of big boat designs judging from the pictures of the VOLVO 70's keel bulb design. i was browsing and i found this.
http://groups.msn.com/Boteco1/chegadain ... hotoID=615
ed

Muzza

Post by Muzza » 17 Mar 2006, 21:10

Ed,

Model sailboats have often preceded keelboats in design - but what specifically has grabbed your attention in the photo? Is it the relatively short length of the bulb compared to the length of the boats? The shape of the bulb, or something else?

Just curious.
Murray Buckman
USA 274

edmorales

Post by edmorales » 18 Mar 2006, 02:21

hi muzza,
the keel/bulb of V70's are all current new designs but i have seen these forms on ioms for several years now.
ed

Peter Allen

Post by Peter Allen » 18 Mar 2006, 12:05

The boats in the foreground and background look to have a different bulb to ABN Ambro,i'd say for IOM comparison they look similar to a Drumbeat bulb being flatter at the tail,where Ambro's looks similar to Sails Etc bulb.Here in the Caribbean there's a Richel/Pugh custom 41 that carries a bulb similar in shape to the Drumbeat type as well only retalively smaller.Interesting Peter