Efficient and good looking carbon finish... how ?

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Gilbert Louis

Efficient and good looking carbon finish... how ?

Post by Gilbert Louis » 16 Jul 2006, 22:36

Hi,

I have build a rudder in carbon/balsa. It is pretty stiff and to the weigth I wanted but I was looking for the carbon look finish. I think carbon is a nice looking material particularly the twill type.

I managed to get a smooth finish but it didn't look good at all. So I decided to paint it. But for my next one I'd love to keep the carbon look on it.

Some of the carbon hulls I've seen are just simply superb and but I wonder how they get that shiny finish on the carbon ?

Thanks for your help.
Gilbert LOUIS
www.iomireland.org
V6 - RMG - Blackmagick
IRL41 - Ireland

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 17 Jul 2006, 03:44

Spray or brush a quality clear coat into the mold first, such as Awlgrip. It can also be sprayed afterwards, but spraying the mold will yield better results.
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

awallin

Post by awallin » 17 Jul 2006, 09:02

clear epoxy resin (the same as used for the moulding of the fin), mixed with fumed silica to achieve the right consistency, seems to work OK also. (paint a thin layer into the mould, let cure at elevated temperature until 'dry' to fingertouch and then continue with resin+carbon)

Steve: is the clear-coat you are talking about something like a 2-component clear-coat for car painting ?

Anders

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 17 Jul 2006, 09:21

It's a high end 2 part poly that has UV inhibitors in it. I don't use it (I prefer to paint my carbon white), but I know it is used in many different applications, especially for carbon pieces. It is used in both marine and auto industries.
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Peter Allen

Post by Peter Allen » 18 Jul 2006, 16:16

Hummm,Steve as u know i have the Texalium boat and the deck is fading from the sun,i've tried On and Off(like similar to deox) etc so am thinking of a light sanding and a new coat of resin with UV,which is really hard to come by here,but clear coat is really easy to get from the automotive guys,might not be AwlGrip but it's going to be a hi quality paint,Sikkens,Glasurit etc,that's what they use on BMW,Mecerdes etc ????What's your take on that,not to be off topic.Peter

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 18 Jul 2006, 17:46

Peter Allen wrote:Hummm,Steve as u know i have the Texalium boat and the deck is fading from the sun,i've tried On and Off(like similar to deox) etc so am thinking of a light sanding and a new coat of resin with UV,which is really hard to come by here,but clear coat is really easy to get from the automotive guys,might not be AwlGrip but it's going to be a hi quality paint,Sikkens,Glasurit etc,that's what they use on BMW,Mecerdes etc ????What's your take on that,not to be off topic.Peter
I think that if it does not have UV inhibitors added, it will end up looking like it does now after a few years. As I'm sure you have seen on cars, the clear coat will break down after time if it's not waxed and polished regularly (to protect the clear coat).
If that tex boat were mine, I would ask the builder if he could send me a new style deck. then I'd cut that one off and put on a painted one. Solves 2 problems..... :)
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Gilbert Louis

Post by Gilbert Louis » 19 Jul 2006, 23:36

Thanks all for your tips I'll try the 2 pack clear coat on the next one. I need to do some fixing with carbon so I might even try it then.

Thx again.
Gilbert
Gilbert LOUIS
www.iomireland.org
V6 - RMG - Blackmagick
IRL41 - Ireland