ISAF-RSD Recomendation regarding appendix E

Discuss the IOM class rules and interpretations

Moderators: Pedro Egea, jeffbyerley

Steve Landeau

ISAF-RSD Recomendation regarding appendix E

Post by Steve Landeau » 01 Jun 2004, 07:56

Is the recommendation that the RSD posted regarding Sail Identification Marks back in Oct. 2002 in effect?

http://www.radiosailing.org/pdf/RRS%20E ... dation.pdf

I'm updating my measurement folder and noticed there has not been any "formal" acceptance of this document posted.
Thanks,
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Post by Chairman » 01 Jun 2004, 10:45

I understand that Submission 144-03, below, was accepted at the ISAF November 2003 conference, for inclusion in the RS 2005-2008. I believe it is the same as the current RSD text, which remains "recommended" until the RRS is formally updated for 2005.

Code: Select all

PROPOSAL:
1. Amend E6(b) as follows:

(b) Rule G1.1(c) is replaced by: ‘a sail number, which shall be the last two digits of the boat registration number, or the personal number allotted by the relevant issuing authority.’ Where this is a Single-digit numbers, will be prefixed with a ‘0’. There shall be a space placed in front of the sail number for the prefix ‘1’, which may be prescribed by the race committee if there is a conflict between sail numbers. Where there is still a conflict, the race committee will prescribe that sail numbers be suitably amended until the conflict is resolved. Alternatively an owner may be allotted a personal sail number by the relevant issuing authority, the last two digits of which may be used on all his boats. Where this is a single-digit number, a ‘0’ shall be placed in front.

2. Replace E6(c) to (e) with the following:

(c) Rule G1.2(b) is replaced by:
Sizes and spacing of identification will be as follows:               Minimum Maximum
Class insignia    Spacing between sail insignia on opposite sides of
                  sail, unless superimposed as under (d)(1)              13mm
Sail numbers      Height of characters                                  100mm   110mm
                  Spacing between adjoining characters on same
                  side of sail                                           13mm    25mm
                  Spacing between sail numbers on opposite sides
                  of sail                                                60mm
National letters: Height of characters                                   60mm    70mm
                  Spacing between adjoining characters on same
                  side of sail                                           13mm    25mm
                  Spacing between national letter on opposite sides
                  of sail                                                60mm
                  Spacing between sail numbers and other sail
                  identification                                         60mm

(d) Rule G1.3 is replaced by:
Class insignia, sail numbers and national letters will be positioned as follows:
(1) Class insignia, sail numbers and national letters will be placed at different heights on the two sides of the sail, those on the starboard side being uppermost. However, if the class insignia is of a design whereby two of them coincide when placed back to back on both sides of the sail, they may be so placed.
(2) Class insignia will be placed on mainsails above the sail numbers.
(3) Sail numbers will be placed:  On mainsails: above a line that is about perpendicular to the luff and through the quarter leech point.  On headsails: no limit.
(4) National letters will be placed on mainsails below the sail numbers.

(e) Where the size of a sail makes it impossible to meet the spacing rules in (c) and the positioning rules in (d)(3), deviations are allowed in the following order of priority:
(1) Placing of national letters on opposite sides of the sail closer than as needed by (c)
(2) Placing of mainsail sail numbers lower than as needed by (c)
(3) Placing of sail numbers on opposite sides of the sail closer than as needed by (c)
(4) Placing of sail numbers closer to other identification than as needed by (c)
(5) Omission of national letters
(6) Reducing the size of sail numbers
However the minimum spacing will not be less than 13mm under any circumstances.
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 01 Jun 2004, 16:30

Thanks, Lester. See you in a couple weeks.
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Roy Thompson

Post by Roy Thompson » 02 Jun 2004, 23:36

Do we need to ask RSD to consider the discusion we have had regarding the fact that at larger events it may be necessary to add a number other than '1' in front of the 2 digit sail number?
Roy Thompson
"WE DON'T SEE THINGS AS THEY ARE, WE SEE THINGS AS WE ARE" A.N.

IanHB

Post by IanHB » 03 Jun 2004, 04:35

At the recent NEW ZEALAND IOM National Championship Regatta it was brought home to me as RACE OFFICER just how inadquite is the present system of TWO digits only on the sails. We had entered, three boats all carrying the number 22 on their sails. The first entry was told to do nothing, the second to place the number 1 in front of his 22, the third to carry his full number of 622. Well done you may say, no problem.
Great until an early start by 622 resulting in him being called over the line saw the second start line observer call 22 as also over. The reason was, our friend 622 had put the extra digit on his jib only not the main.
What can you do? Our solution was to award average points to the wrongly pinged 22, but it should not have happened.
There were a number of other challenges with numbers that I won`t bore you with, but I want to say that I would wholeheartedly support a move to carry THREE DIGITS as the sail marking for the class.
IMHO this would be a giant leep forward for the better running of major regattas.
DO IT NOW BEFORE IT`S TOO LATE!

ralph kelley

Post by ralph kelley » 03 Jun 2004, 15:21

It seems to me that it would be better yet if the number system used either one, two or three digits. I think the artificial use of a zero in front of an otherwise single digit sail number has proven to be confusing.

But clearly Ian is correct in that three digits would be better than two as the class is growing around the world.

If I had a vote it would be for one, two or three digits

Roy Thompson

Post by Roy Thompson » 04 Jun 2004, 15:57

I tend to agree with you Ralph, 1, 2 or 3 numbers, the only problem is the underlying fact that on smaller sails (ie. No3 jib) there may not be room if the current restrictions on size/spacing are kept.
I also like the idea of adding a large letter (A,B,C etc) above the number. This has at least 26 possibilities, is easily visible and doesn't require moving/respacing your current nubers (ie if you have '88' with it's 'legal' spacing but at a certain event you are '288' you may have to move even the '88' to fir in the '2' with the current rules.)
Maybe someone could explain to us the reason for the need to use '0' in front of single digit sailnumbers please.
Roy Thompson

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 04 Jun 2004, 16:34

VCmeasurement wrote: Maybe someone could explain to us the reason for the need to use '0' in front of single digit sailnumbers please.
Hi, Roy.
It's there solely to ensure confusion within the race committees. You know, when 40 and 04 finish side by side...... :twisted:
Sorry, Dick, couldn't refuse. :lol:
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Roy Thompson

Post by Roy Thompson » 04 Jun 2004, 23:45

Steve said
It's there solely to ensure confusion within the race committees
I suspect there's nothing more to it Steve, HA,HA!
Roy Thompson