Jack line question ...

Discuss the IOM class rules and interpretations

Moderators: Pedro Egea, jeffbyerley

Greg Vasileff

Jack line question ...

Post by Greg Vasileff » 02 Jun 2004, 14:29

Jack line legality?

Was wondering if I set my mast up like the following, if it would be class legal. I am thinking about a jack line setup with cotter pins. I would drill a hole all the way through the mast, insert the cotter pin, bend over the ends on the outside of the leading edge of the mast and fix them with a drop of epoxy. See drawing http://members.tripod.com/ghmyc_1m/mast1.doc

If jack lines are in fact legal, are the cotter pins now considered part of the mast and must they now be within the legal max. dimension of the mast? At he moment I’m having trouble with my PC and can’t get to the rules to further check this out.

Thanks,
Greg V

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 02 Jun 2004, 15:29

The cotter pins are fittings to attach the jackline, and not subject to the constant of the mast. No problems there that I can see as far as the rules go, but your jib topper might catch on the ends of the pins if they are not laid down real smooth.
Good luck,
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Roy Thompson

Post by Roy Thompson » 02 Jun 2004, 23:46

Hi Greg,
I have tried something similar on a test rig I use for this type of 'experiments'. It certainly was an improvement over my previous attempts at attaching it to anywhere near the gooseneck where it exerts too much tension and stops the boom moving freely in light winds. I haven't actually used it on a rig in regular use nor considered the implications regarding the rules. I will watch this space with interest and let wiser people than I decide if it's ok.
Cheers.
Roy Thompson
"WE DON'T SEE THINGS AS THEY ARE, WE SEE THINGS AS WE ARE" A.N.