Carbon fiber/Graphite decoration Legality

Discuss the IOM class rules and interpretations

Moderators: Pedro Egea, jeffbyerley

Arvin S.

Carbon fiber/Graphite decoration Legality

Post by Arvin S. » 22 Jul 2004, 09:21

This might seem a stupid question but just want to make sure that it is allowed. I couldn't find anything on the rules that mentions it.

My highlander came with Carbon fiber stickers or Decals as decoration on the deck.

The black colored patches on the deck are carbon fiber decals.
The decals are stuck on top of the deck and are only there for decoration. I am not sure if it is allowed though given the "no carbon fiber" on the hull. The Measurer can of course confirm that there is no carbon fiber mixed in the hull if he checks the inboard part of the deck.

Is this legal or not? I don't want to take them off unless they are really illegal coz I'm afraid I might ruine the deck and might have to repaint.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
TTFN
Arvin

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Re: Carbon fiber/Graphite decoration Legality

Post by Chairman » 22 Jul 2004, 10:55

Arvin S. wrote:My highlander came with Carbon fiber stickers or Decals as decoration on the deck.
Hi Arvin

If this is indeed mere decoration, no problem. I'd have to hazard a guess, however, and think they are there performing a "real purpose". If not covering a deck opening, then stiffening the deck. In either case, ... :cry:
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

Arvin S.

Carbonfiber decals

Post by Arvin S. » 27 Jul 2004, 11:15

If this is indeed mere decoration, no problem. I'd have to hazard a guess, however, and think they are there performing a "real purpose". If not covering a deck opening, then stiffening the deck. In either case, ...
Hmmm, I understand what you mean Lester. I am pretty sure that it is easy to prove that the Carbon Fiber decals are not acting as Deck patches by shining a light on the deck and using a mirror to see the underside if there is a layer of fiberglass between the CF decals.

However on the other hand you have a good point that regardless someone might say that the CF decals is actually helping to "stiffen" the deck, etc. The patches of decal is not arranged to help stiffen the deck though coz there is a gap in the centerline between two decals, only in the bow does the decal goes from one side to the other.

I tended to agree with you that when in doubt, just take it out. I was wondering though if the rules specifically disallows using CF even as deck patches for instance? needless to say when I got home tonight I'll be thinking of a way how to take off the CF decals. It might just be considered extra weight anyway :) (sour graping here of course)

TTFN
Arvin

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Re: Carbonfiber decals

Post by Chairman » 27 Jul 2004, 12:01

Arvin S. wrote:I am pretty sure that it is easy to prove that the Carbon Fiber decals are not acting as Deck patches by shining a light on the deck and using a mirror to see the underside if there is a layer of fiberglass between the CF decals. ... someone might say that the CF decals is actually helping to "stiffen" the deck, etc. The patches of decal is not arranged to help stiffen the deck though coz there is a gap in the centerline between two decals, only in the bow does the decal goes from one side to the other.
Hi Arvin

Might be worth quoting the Class Rules to see what we are talking about.
Class Rules wrote:D.2.3 FITTINGS
Fittings are unrestricted except that:(a) Fittings that can contribute to the stiffness and/or strength and/or watertight integrity of the hull shall be of materials permitted by D.2.1.
So the issue is, are your c/f decals contributing to strength, stiffness, or watertightness? Having a c/f layer over an opening, even if the opening is first covered by a "conventional" deck patch, would IMHUO help watertightness. Similarly, sticking a layer of c/f to a layer of g/f IMHUO helps stiffen the g/f, whether it crosses the centreline or not. :)
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 27 Jul 2004, 16:53

Arvin, a silly question I suppose, but are you sure it's real carbon? There is a vinyl available that looks so much like carbon, it's very hard to tell the difference.
There is an interpretation request coming down the pike that may give you a formal answer anyway.
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Post by Chairman » 27 Jul 2004, 17:29

Steve Landeau wrote:There is a vinyl available that looks so much like carbon, it's very hard to tell the difference.
Aw, Steve, you've blown my little wind-up I was planning at the next IOM event here - carefully covering the foredeck with this stick-on c/f look-alike and awaiting the comments... :twisted:
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

edmorales

Post by edmorales » 28 Jul 2004, 03:08

vinyl stickers are a lot thinner than the cf stickers.maybe about a third of the cf stickers thickness
ed

Arvin S.

CF decal

Post by Arvin S. » 28 Jul 2004, 08:18

Thanks Steve for your info. I checked the deck material when I went home and guess what?

Lester I beat you to it, the decals on my boat is actually "Fake" Carbon fiber, should have noticed it easily, but anyway as I said I decided to just take it off to avoid any problems. But then when I was starting to peel it off, I noticed it was really thin and very flexible, then I found out that the CF patterns were really just printed on. So the decal stays. :)

Lester I'm guessing that it had the same effect to me as what would happen if you had gone through with your idea of using fake stickers on your IOM and showing up for an event. Would still probably be a good gag as long as not a lot of people have read these posts in this forum :)

At least we all know that any type of real CF, decals or not is illegal on the hull and other fittings except for the keel.

TTFN
Arvin