metal detector detects carbonfiber

Discuss the IOM class rules and interpretations

Moderators: Pedro Egea, jeffbyerley

Jamestj

metal detector detects carbonfiber

Post by Jamestj » 09 Nov 2004, 23:36

I have just bought a pocket metal detector - the sort that you use to check that you are not going to cut through nails in a piece of wood or drill into gas pipes and so on. It cost me less than ten cans of drinks. I have also discovered that it will also detect carbonfiber reinforcement in epoxy resin.

If I presented my PAINTED hull for measuring and checking and I could demonstrate that this little gizmo bleeped when it was near any carbonfiber, could my hull be accepted?

Please may I have some opinions from any measurers out there?

Many thanks.

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Re: metal detector detects carbonfiber

Post by Chairman » 10 Nov 2004, 08:11

Jamestj wrote:If I presented my PAINTED hull for measuring
Hi James

Can't paint the inside. This is how the measurer sees what's in there.
Class Rules wrote:D.2.1(b)(5) the interior shall be un-coated to permit non-destructive examination for verification of the material content.
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

Arvin S.

Post by Arvin S. » 10 Nov 2004, 10:20

James,

I think the class rules is very specific here. It specifically says that the inside of the hull should be unpigmented so as to allow inspection of the hull materials used.

If you show up with a fully painted hull, inside and out, your boat will most probably if not surely be considered not class legal. Even if you get away with getting your hull certified, you might still get checked by measurers in other events such as the worlds and almost surely it will be considered "illegal".

Your discovery is nice though coz it might help measurers with reconfirmation if a hull is indeed free of carbon fiber, but I am sure it will not be accepted as the primary instrument in determining carbon fiber presence.

Besides once you put in all the electronics in your hull I am pretty sure that your metal detector will give off a false positive for carbon fiber caused by the metals found in the electronic gears and fittings.

TTFN
Arvin

Jamestj

Post by Jamestj » 10 Nov 2004, 11:28

Good point, Arvin.
:oops: