Hull length + draft

Discuss the IOM class rules and interpretations

Moderators: Pedro Egea, jeffbyerley

Ray Flanigan

Hull length + draft

Post by Ray Flanigan » 24 Feb 2005, 05:42

:?
Having read thru the Class rules 2003 v.2
The hull length is stated as 1000mm, is this the overall length of the hull from bow to stern?
The reason I am asking is I have a Ragtime hull which I am in the process of assembling.
There is a rake on the Bow of +/- 5degrees.
When I measure her overall length it is 1000mm, when I measure her on the waterline it is 993mm.
Also is the 10mm bumper included in the 1000mm measurement.
The draft is to be 370 to 420mm, is this measured vertically from the lwl along the chord of the keel to the bottom of the lead.
I do not want to build her only to to have to take her apart for some silly infringement.
Having not built a 1M before (only RM's) any assistance would be much appreciated.
Ray

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Re: Hull length + draft

Post by Chairman » 24 Feb 2005, 08:22

Ray Flanigan wrote:The hull length is stated as 1000mm, is this the overall length of the hull from bow to stern?
The reason I am asking is I have a Ragtime hull which I am in the process of assembling.
There is a rake on the Bow of +/- 5degrees.
When I measure her overall length it is 1000mm, when I measure her on the waterline it is 993mm.
Also is the 10mm bumper included in the 1000mm measurement.
Hi Ray

Might be worth having a look at the "Measurement" section of the IOMICA Web site at http://iomclass.org/measurement.htm where the bow bumper is discussed. Length is overall, and the bumper is included in this.
The draft is to be 370 to 420mm, is this measured vertically from the lwl along the chord of the keel to the bottom of the lead.
Yes, draught is measured from the waterline to the deepest part of the keel. Most competitive boats are within 1 or 2 mm of 420, and this usually needs a flotation tank to get it so accurate.
Chairman
IOMICA Executive