coloured sail numbers

Discuss the IOM class rules and interpretations

Moderators: Pedro Egea, jeffbyerley

Eric

coloured sail numbers

Post by Eric » 20 Jul 2005, 22:25

Which colour can I use for the sails numbers ?

any restriction ?

awallin

Re: coloured sail numbers

Post by awallin » 21 Jul 2005, 05:30

Eric wrote:Which colour can I use for the sails numbers ?
any restriction ?
I think the relevant rule is RRS G1.2(a) which states
"...clearly legible and of the same colour. Commercially
available typefaces giving the same or better legibility
than Helvetica are acceptable."
so there are no restrictions in the rules except "clearly legible".
Almost everyone uses black so I would recommend that (unless your sails are black...).

Anders

Eric

Post by Eric » 21 Jul 2005, 07:00

Thank you for the answer.

I was thinking of using red.

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Post by Chairman » 22 Jul 2005, 08:36

"... typefaces giving the same or better legibility than Helvetica are acceptable ..."

One can turn this into something practical and save a lot of discussion: Set up the number you want (colour, font, whatever) on a scrap piece of sail, and set up the same number (same size!) in black Helvetica or Arial on another scrap piece. Have your friend hang the pieces one from each arm and then walk off slowly into the distance. It needs to be the Helvetica number which gets difficult to read first, otherwise you are vulnerable to a legitimate measurement protest. If you really do want something different, I'd keep the scrap piece with the black Helvetica version in your pond-side toolbox, you'll be doing a lot of demonstrating at races in the first few months... (smile)
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 23 Jul 2005, 06:19

I am a firm believer in black numbers on a white background. I have never seen numbers of any other color that were as easy to read, red clearly being the worst color of them all. Please..... use black numbering. It's the right thing to do.
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Roy Thompson

Post by Roy Thompson » 24 Jul 2005, 21:40

I am a firm believer in black numbers on a white background. I have never seen numbers of any other color that were as easy to read, red clearly being the worst color of them all. Please..... use black numbering. It's the right thing to do
If you have black numbers of the corect font and size, no one will question it
Gentlemen, I agree with you, although I'm not sure that I would go so far as to say literally that black numbers are the 'right thing to do' - but I understand the point. Black is safe and if the numners are as legible as...blablabla...you'll have no problems. The comment that
The numbers aren't decorations
is very valid. I would personally (speaking as an IOM sailor) not be against a black numbers only rule.
I would also like to see more effort being put into clear sail numbering by IOM sailors, it really isn't that difficult to do it right...some of the numbering out there would definitely not pass Lesters very simpe but very effecitve test - just try it. This is especially true at major events where I firmly believe that competitors should not be allowed to compete without the correct numbering and race commitees should support the measurers and competitors in decisions regarding badly marked sail numbers.
Roy Thompson
"WE DON'T SEE THINGS AS THEY ARE, WE SEE THINGS AS WE ARE" A.N.