HMS and out of time

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
Sail number: FRA 100
Design: Venti
France

HMS and out of time

Post by Olivier Cohen » 19 May 2008, 12:22

Please note a post I have started on UK forum, and for which I would like to get an answer from people implied in HMS 2007 building.

Thanks for your help

http://www.mya-uk-forum.org.uk/e107_plu ... c.php?1138
IOMICA Chairman

Alfonso
IOMICA Chairman

Post by Alfonso » 22 May 2008, 10:47

Bonjour Olivier

Here is my understanding, but please be aware that I am not currently actively familiar with HMS 2007 (smile).

In HMS 2007, in every heat, every boat will have a finishing place, except the last four boats in a heat which has timed out (other than Race 1), or the last boat in a Race 1 heat which has timed out.

To answer your question, if the B heat is not Race 1, the Race Officer assigns finishing positions 'on the water' to all the boats which have not finished at 5 minutes after the time out limit expired, except for the last 4 boats, who each score DNF. If it is Race 1, the Race Officer must wait until all boats except the last boat have finished; every boat gets a position at the finish line, except the last who gets DNF while on the water.

Then the promotion and scoring is the same for all HMS systems: The first 4 boats in the heat are promoted. Their scores are now ignored, because they sail in A heat and score according to their finishing positions in that heat. The other boats in B heat are scored according to their positions (which were given to them on the water under HMS 2007), and the DNF boats are given points accordin g to the number who were scheduled to sail in the heat + 1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lester
Hello Lester,

It is good to know your understanding of Time Out Limit rule because I understand something different.
If it is Race 1, the Race Officer must wait until all boats except the last boat have finished; every boat gets a position at the finish line, except the last who gets DNF while on the water.
About Time Out Limit in Race 1 HMS 2007 says “all boats shall be allowed to finishâ€

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
Sail number: FRA 100
Design: Venti
France

Post by Olivier Cohen » 22 May 2008, 14:35

It seems that many different interpretations exists...so we need a definitive interpretation on this.

Who can give it?
IOMICA Chairman