BE MY GUEST....

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

Neil Armstrong
Sail number: GBR 13
Design: Mallard

BE MY GUEST....

Post by Neil Armstrong » 05 Dec 2014, 20:50

My understanding of the inclusion of a skipper to a competition as a 'GUEST' was that they had either NO representation from a NCA or they had demonstrated NOTEWORTHY DEDICATION AND SERVICE to the class (8.6 iv)

Could someone please explain on this forum why this rule is not being adhered to and because it is not being adhered to, the ESC could now receive such ludicrous applications for a 'GUEST' place as the examples below:-

1. Ex World Champion, unfortunately never been involved in the organisation of a Championship but did once donate a very nice rudder
for a raffle prize.

2. Medal winning skipper in another ISAF class, unfortunately, not even an RC class.

3. Request for 'GUEST' place as these are granted at stage 1 and this would allow me to book my flight early and get it cheaper,
otherwise I will have to wait for stage 2 and the flights will of gone up.

4. Although having qualified through my country of residence I would like to sail for my country of Nationality as they only gain 1 place
due to them only having 14 registered owners (under 50 allows only 1 place instead of 2)

5. NCA puts forward a top skipper for a 'GUEST' place as they are likely to come in the top 10 and give the NCA an extra place at the
next Championship.

If a skipper wants to sail this much in a race that requires qualification they must gain entry through that countries legitimate ranking list, yes, they have to travel and sail. IT IS THAT EASY!!!!!!!!!

I for one would of preferred the 9th best skipper in Sweden who had been bothered to spend his Krona's travelling around Sweden in his Saab listening to Abba to sail in his countries ranking races to of been sailing at the 2014 Euro's than the 'GUEST', who , I read, ranted and swore that much in one race he had to write a letter of opology to all competitors.

As soon as you allow this sort of elitism into OUR fantastic sport you begin to nail the lid on the coffin.

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
Sail number: FRA 100
Design: Venti
France

Re: BE MY GUEST....

Post by Olivier Cohen » 08 Dec 2014, 00:10

Welcome back Neil ! Still sailing Mallard ?

Thanks for your concerns. It seems that you could read and understand our CCR, happy of that.
Next time you will tell me who is hidden in these funny descriptions. I could catch a few, some have sent requests for guest place, some haven't, and I don't know some others.

IOMICA guests will be known in a few days. I will be happy to read your comments as you are back.

PS : I have been 3 times in UK for WC or National championships since 2010 (our first exchanges) and I am very much disapointed that I couldn't meet you. Don't be afraid next time !
IOMICA Chairman

Paul Malfooch
Club: FPSC

Post by Paul Malfooch » 08 Dec 2014, 19:22

What's the fuss? The criteria for awarding "Guest Spots" is pretty clearly defined:

In Stage One:

"For World and Continental Championships, the ESC may allocate guest places to competitors either not represented by a NCA, or that have demonstrated noteworthy dedication and service to the class, to a maximum of 5."

and in Stage Three

"If there are still places available, for World Championships, the ESC may allocate guest places to competitors pursuant to rule 7.3, to a maximum of 6, where no more than 1 place shall be allocated to any one country."

Interestingly enough, there are provisions for "guest spots" in Stage Two, but only for Continental Championships - as I read the CCR's, these Stage Two guest spots do not apply to World Championships.

Neil Armstrong
Sail number: GBR 13
Design: Mallard

Post by Neil Armstrong » 09 Dec 2014, 23:21

I am both fine in the art of reading and understanding what has been written on the rules for 'GUESTS' , it is mine and others concern that the ESC have a big problem of applying

'noteworthy dedication AND service to the class'

as being the criteria for a 'GUEST' place.

It's that easy, these are your rules, not mine.

Thanks for the info Paul.

Paul Malfooch
Club: FPSC

Post by Paul Malfooch » 10 Dec 2014, 23:12

I'm certainly not trying to start a fight here - it appears as though we agree that the rules are straightforward and easy to understand.

How they are applied is entirely another topic - I guess that will be revealed once the "Guest Spots" have been announced.