Argument at the pond side following an incident

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Argument at the pond side following an incident

Post by Chairman » 01 Apr 2004, 14:49

There is a growing concern about the heated and extended arguments which can follow an incident or a protest hail. The concern is shared by full-size sailors as well, who find that new recruits are selling their boats and taking up tiddly-winks after being roundly abused on the water by testosterone-fuelled competitors. In radio sailing, it is not unusual to see boats for sale from sailors who are just fed up with the pond-side bickering and squabbling. What authority does the Race Officer have to control such behaviour? What is the guidance that IOMICA might give to a Race Officer of an IOM event? What behaviour does IOMICA and the IOM NCAs want to see at an IOM event?

Brian Willis gave a strong presentation to the RYA annual Judges and Umpires Conference at Nottingham in February, arguing that there should be greater use of RRS 69, and other Judges have encouraged the greater use of RRS 2. One or two counter-argued, saying that top-level competition was not for wimps and that highly-charged competition was to be expected. Where and how should the line be drawn?
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 01 Apr 2004, 18:53

My experience shows that the RD must quickly set the tone for the regatta. He/she should notify the skippers at the skippers meeting that bickering will not be tolerated, and notify them of the consequences should they ignore the warning. Most importantly, the RD MUST adhere to his/her intentions and set precedence the first time a skipper gets out of hand. Usually, a skipper gets a warning, and a repeated offense may result in a number of penalties, anywhere from a DSQ for that heat, or DSQ from the regatta. We sail on a lake within a very high end private community, and we deal with this even on practice days. Should the residents of the community hear some of the things we are used to hearing at regattas, we could lose our sailing venue. We all know this, and enforce our policies without hesitation. When the skippers know that it is not "just hot air", and that the penalties WILL be given out, they behave quite nicely.
I would fully support an appendix E modification to include onshore misconduct to fall under rule 69. I agree, we do lose skippers as well as potential new skippers because of these situations. A simple protest, then a turn or an acknowledgement is all anyone should hear. Anything else should be grounds for a second penalty, which would be a rule 69 infringement.
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

ralph kelley

Post by ralph kelley » 02 Apr 2004, 17:46

We in Dallas have been using SIs with wording like this in all of our IOM regattas for the past several years. I have heard no complaints. But it is important, as Steve indicates, that the RD take a firm hand, right at the start to control the situation.

10. All racing rules regarding Sportsmanship are applicable. The RD will have the authority to monitor the conduct of the competitors during the regatta and if he/she so directs, offensive behavior will be grounds for scoring the competitor as DNF for a heat, or to disqualify the competitor from the regatta. No appeal will be allowed on these decisions by the RD.

IanHB

Post by IanHB » 11 Apr 2004, 07:22

Yes I would like to agree wholeheartedly with the stand expressed by Steve. At the recent New Zealand IOM National Championship, I as the race officer, took the time at the briefing to explain my expectation of conduct, in the event of an offence on the water. I am pleased to report that by and large, the compeditors were well behaved with only a couple of reminders necessary when things became tense. I really like the clauses as proposed by Ralph`s club and with permission would use them in future sailing instructions. :D :roll:
DO IT NOW BEFORE IT`S TOO LATE!

ralph kelley

Post by ralph kelley » 11 Apr 2004, 15:32

Of course you can use it, and if you come up with a better wording, send it along.

Ralph

Ken Dobbie

Post by Ken Dobbie » 06 Jun 2004, 23:17

From ARYA's Standard Sailing Instructions:-

"7. Conduct
7.1 The Australian Radio Yachting Association (Incorporated) recognises that major events offer considerable publicity opportunities to the Association and the sport generally. Competitor behaviour can impact unfavourably on the sport and all competitors are advised that their actions will be under scrutiny and in the event of any behaviour which is in breach of good manners or sportsmanship, or which may bring the sport into disrepute will result in a hearing in accordance with RRS 69.1.
Penalties available to the Protest Committee include exclusion from the race in question, the series, or other action within the Committee’s jurisdiction. The Principal Race Officer and all race officials have been directed to record any incidents which will be dealt with to the full extent available to the Committee."

Cheers

Ken