Continental Championships

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

Nigel28
Sail number: CAN 28
Design: Vancouver

Continental Championships

Post by Nigel28 » 04 Jun 2005, 19:05

It has come to my attention that IOMICA is given permission to hold ONE international event per year.
My question to Tito and Lester is therefore:-
Is it possible to hold an IOMICA sanctioned North American Championship in the same year as a European Championship, or would the 2 events be in competion with each other for the one international regatta per year?
Nigel Ashman
CAN 328

awallin

Post by awallin » 05 Jun 2005, 07:10

hmm, good question.
AGREEMENT dated the 23rd day October 2003 wrote: 5. ISAF Regulation 18.4 provides that the ISAF–RSD may hold one annual World Championship per ISAF–RSD Class up to a maximum of three World Championships. The IOM ICA is authorised to approve up to one annual World Championship for the IOM Class.
There appears to be no limitations for continental championships.

On the other hand our own Class Championship regulations are more precise:
4. CHAMPIONSHIPS
4.1. The IOM Class may hold a World Championship biennially.
4.2. The IOM Class may hold a Continental Championship biennially in the year when there is no
World Championship. Continental Championships already agreed are:
(i) European
so should we read 4.2 as one per year or one per continent ? My guess would be one per continent.

As you may know Lester will not be chairman for 2005-2007 but he has volunteered for the position of VC Events (and will be elected if there are no other nominations) so he is the man to talk to.
----------------
Anders Wallin

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Post by Chairman » 05 Jun 2005, 21:20

VCinfocomms wrote:There appears to be no limitations for continental championships. Our own Class Championship regulations are more precise:
4.2. The IOM Class may hold a Continental Championship biennially in the year when there is no World Championship. Continental Championships already agreed are:
(i) European
Hi Anders

I believe the intention behind our Championship Regulations is to positively encourage an appropriate variety and number of IOM Continental Championships in the year in which there is not an IOM World Championship. It would be up to the Events Sub-Committee to consider and recommend approval of applications from interested Organising Authorities for "Continental" Championships, which are "official" IOMICA International Championships that are run according to the Championship Regulations. There are other IOM events which are multi-country events -- the Nordic Cup is an excellent example -- and these do not necessarily need to be "Continental Championships" if they do not want to be.
Chairman
IOMICA Executive