Sail Numbers at Internation Championships

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

Brad Gibson

Sail Numbers at Internation Championships

Post by Brad Gibson » 19 Jul 2005, 14:09

I guess this is the place for this question :D

I have an international Skipper chartering one of my boats for the upcoming World Championships.
The boat to be chartered has a sail number AUS 18.
The Skipper has a personal number from his own member NCA.

Reading Appendix G in RRS 05-08:
makes mention that skippers shall sail International Championships under their own NCA letters & registration.

With a closer look, there is a clause under chartered/borrowed boats stating that skippers may be allowed to sail under that boats current registration markings if allowed in either NOR or Sailing Instructions.

Does IOMICA have any official thoughts on any of the above?
Or is this at the discretion of the WC Organising Commitee?

My own personal thoughts are that 99.9% seem to love nothing better than to represent their country & i would like to see this competitor with his own NCA number & country markings be able to be used as seems the case in Big Boats stuff when boats are chartered & competitors use their own sails.

As the sails are new & not yet marked, it would be nice to sort this before measuring day.

Cheers
Brad Gibson AUS 42 :D

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Re: Sail Numbers at Internation Championships

Post by Chairman » 19 Jul 2005, 18:43

bgrcyachting wrote:... skippers may be allowed to sail under that boats current registration markings if allowed in either NOR or Sailing Instructions.

Does IOMICA have any official thoughts on any of the above?
Hi Brad

The official advice of IOMICA to any organising committee is that the Sailing Instructions should invoke G3, that is, "When so stated in the notice of race or sailing instructions, a boat chartered or loaned for an event may carry national letters or a sail number in contravention of her class rules". This is the advice given to the organisers of the Worlds 2005. I think your next step is to ask the Organising Committee.
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

Brad Gibson

Post by Brad Gibson » 19 Jul 2005, 23:42

Hi Lester,
Thanks for the clarification from IOMICA's stance.
I will pursue the matter with the WC commitee.

Cheers
Brad