Barbados Mount Gay Regatta Report & Results

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

mark

Barbados Mount Gay Regatta Report & Results

Post by mark » 23 Aug 2005, 21:26

Barbados Mount Gay 2005 Regatta

Firstly, thanks to Peter Allen for hosting and organizing the regatta, getting Mount Gay & The Boatyard bar to sponsor the event and generally take care of us all. This was truly a memorable regatta which I am sure will increase in stature and attendance as the word gets out.

I put some pictures up on the web, which are resized for viewing on the web. If anybody wants a CD with all the high-resolution pictures, of which there is about 300, drop me an email with your name and address and I’ll post the CD out.

http://onemetre.sbmyc.com/barbados/moun ... index.html

Opening ceremony was held in the function suite of The Boatyard Bar, where Shane the owner was a great host…. Mount Gay competitors received the traditional Red Mount Gay Rum hat & a bottle of Mount Gay . This was definitely getting the regatta kicked off in style. A few of the guys joined in on the Body Shots, but that is a different story :>) that you will have to speak to the other competitors about. Mount Gay have already committed to sponsoring the event next year, and a lot of the photographs are provided by Peter, the Mount Gay Senior Marketing manager.

Racing location was off the beach in the aquamarine water in front of the Carib Bar, the Race office was setup at Spock’s office which was a set of chairs under the 3rd palm tree on the left. The course itself was around 200 yards long, inside the reef, which at low tide provided flat water.

First day started off blowing around 10 knots, with a flat sea, then finished up around 12 knots with a swell starting to run. Dane Mangot & Kennedy ran with their # 1 rigs all day, with Dane coming out of the day comfortable ahead with Jeff Weiss sitting in second after 13 races. Great lunches by Jim created in the square round pot….

The next day, the wind settled in around 10-12 knots with a flat sea building during the day. Here Jeff Weiss came in to his own with 12 bullets… No wonder we do not have a lot of pictures as he was too far ahead. The event was setup around a full moon, which offered the largest tidal range, ensuring the race course was constantly changing as the waves built during the day, due to the water level rising above the reef.

The final days racing was moved down to the beach beside the Boatyard bar, one of the sponsors. Conditions here had the wind varying from 10-18 Knots, flat water. This day Pete Allen raised the bar picking up a clutch of firsts and seconds.

Finishing sequence was

Weiss – 78 Points
Mangot – 114
Allen – 122
Gonsalves – 141
Kennedy - 158
Carver - 201
Durrant - 213
Medford - 244
Thomas - 341
Hoyes - 342
Banfield - 344
Durant - 420
Ricky - 430
Shane Atwell - 468
Jay Lamier - 559
Bob Shoos - 564
Rick Shoos – 574

This now makes Jeff the Canadian & Barbados Champion.

Overall, thanks to Peter, Bill, Penny, Spock,, Jim the cook & Shane, plus all the guys from Barbados sailing club, for a well run event and amazing hospitality.

Results are at:
http://onemetre.sbmyc.com/barbados/moun ... esults.pdf
or
http://onemetre.sbmyc.com/barbados/moun ... esults.xls

Next years regatta looks like it will be at the end of June, Peter will send out the dates when confirmed, followed by the NOR

Mark

Dan Crowley

Post by Dan Crowley » 25 Aug 2005, 00:59

Congratulations Jeff!

Wow!! Those are some awesome pictures. I just showed them to the wife, and it looks like I'm going next year! :shock: