Countdown device for starting sequence - Anyone ?

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

Gilbert Louis

Countdown device for starting sequence - Anyone ?

Post by Gilbert Louis » 16 Nov 2005, 16:42

Hi,

we are looking at having a starting device for the Association. We've looked at few options but instead of re-inventing the wheel I was wondering what do you use or have seen in events that works well andwhich it's not too expensive.

Few of our constrains are security (we sail in a public area and we don't want our device to go missing while racing, we rotate race officer amongs ourselves), the size & weight. we'd like it not to be too combersome to carry and setup.

Some of the ideas we're looking at is a cheap cd/speaker system, or using an old car stereo connected to waterproof speakers... I have downloaded the starting sequence (excellent to have it available for download) in MP3 format... so we're also looking to plug in a cheap MP3 player to an amplified speaker system...

Any ideas welcome ?

thanks.
Gilbert LOUIS
www.iomireland.org
V6 - RMG - Blackmagick
IRL41 - Ireland

Ralph Knowles
Location: Dundee, Scotland, GBR1876/ GBR 2182/GBR 2167/GBR 1907/GBR 3367

Post by Ralph Knowles » 17 Nov 2005, 13:57

Hi Gilbert,

How is the Mandarin refurbishment going?

For a race starting timer device you couldn't beat the Mainlink Systems magic box, which has the countdown message in various forms recorded in 'solid state'. They have a web site ww.mainlinksystems.co.uk/ where they list all their chargers etc.
Give them an email for price etc.

One of these units is used at a couple of clubs in the north east of Scotland and was easily transported to the Karachi Cup/ Boussey Trophy event on the West coast during the summer. A good buy, as it only has a single use, and is of no other benifit to the light fingered.

Cheers

Ralph

Graham_Snook

KISS

Post by Graham_Snook » 17 Nov 2005, 14:16

Our club isn't the most advanced....But it's a simple system and that's cheap and it works

A cheapy tape deck (yep remember those) it's old and knackered with one speaker...on the tape is the starting sequence recorded over and over again onto a C30/C60/C90 cassette inbetween the sequences is a voice recording saying "please turn off the tape, please turn off the tape" the member nearest the radio stops the tape after the start and away we go!

To stop it going walkabout it's pad locked to a chair near the starting line....because it's old no one would nick it anyway! :)

Simple and cheap, what more could you want?? :D
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Graham Snook
[url=http://grahamsnook.wordpress.com/]My website[/url]
[url=http://cmyc.wordpress.com/]Clapham MYC website[/url]

Gilbert Louis

response to Ralph re the mandarin

Post by Gilbert Louis » 17 Nov 2005, 19:35

Hi Ralph,

didn't go as far as your upgrade on yours but not bad. I was actually surprised about the performance of the boat in light wind. My prioriy was for the kid to be able to sail quickly so I built 2 new rigs A&B, kept the existing servos but took everything out to give them a good clean up before putting them back. As the boat was heavy I remove any parts that could be removed (pot, main sheet post and the lip around the main hatch).

After few races the winch packed up (it was the original armwinch) I replaced it by one of my old but reliable whirldwind winch I had. For that I had to cut and rebuild the support and change the sheeting system. and did some work with the rudder which needed some TLC.

Your pics and the plan really helped.

Thanks a mil for these :D

I actually left a special mention for you on our website in the feedback section...

re the timer I'll definitly contact them :) thx :)
Gilbert LOUIS
www.iomireland.org
V6 - RMG - Blackmagick
IRL41 - Ireland