2006 New Zealand National Championship Results

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

IanHB

2006 New Zealand National Championship Results

Post by IanHB » 06 Apr 2006, 03:57

Final results of this regatta sailed in great conditions and spirit.

http://www.radioyachting.com/2006%20IOM%20Nationals.htm
DO IT NOW BEFORE IT`S TOO LATE!

Muzza

Post by Muzza » 06 Apr 2006, 20:42

Great to see Geoff Smale in No. 1 spot again.

Glenn Cochrane seems to be getting better with every regatta. Looks like he's completed his "conversion" to RC from the full sized equivalent.

I hope there will be some pictures posted soon.
Murray Buckman
USA 274

Alan

Post by Alan » 07 Apr 2006, 09:28

"Great to see Geoff Smale in No. 1 spot again."

Interesting choice of words there - strangely enough even though Geoff would undoubtedly be the best RC sailor in NZ (as he was in full size sailing many years ago) I believe that this is the first time he has taken out the IOM Nationals in this country.
Alan Hayes NZL

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
Sail number: FRA 100
Design: Venti
France

Post by Olivier Cohen » 07 Apr 2006, 14:35

What do use all these guys in NZ?

Hulls, sails?

Thanks.
IOMICA Chairman

Muzza

Post by Muzza » 07 Apr 2006, 20:46

Alan

It was a reference to Mr Smales' multiple successes over the years.

One of my earliest sailing memories as a youngster was watching some Flying Dutchmans training off Takapuna. I was told that one of the boats was current national champ, and was training for the Olympics. It was being sailed by Geoff Smale and Ralph Roberts. That would have been the summer of 1966/67, and that crew did represent NZ at the Olympics in '68. The FD ofcourse was known to the general public in NZ at the time because the late Helmer Pedersen (another RC sailor) and Earle Wells had won gold in '64. I think the Smale/Roberts combination were national champs in the FD about 5 times.

For those not aware - Mr Smale was one of a group responsible for establishing the Flying Dutchman as a class in new Zealand in the early '60s, and deserves reflected credit for the NZ gold in 1964. In that year, any of three New Zealand crews could have gained the Olympic selection.

By coincidence, my dentist during the '70s was Jock Bilger, who followed on from Smale/Roberts with a series of FD national champ wins (while Geoff was still competing) and was also an Olympic rep ('76). Jock had a poster of FDs on the ceiling of his surgery so that when you lay back in the dentist chair, you got to enjoy the tranquil scene. We'd talk sailing - or rather he'd talk, I'd just grunt between mouthwashes.

Well done Geoff!
Murray Buckman
USA 274

Alan

Post by Alan » 07 Apr 2006, 21:04

Murray
I'm not disagreeing with you about Geoff's ability, ask any RC sailor in NZ 'who is the best?' and Geoff will be at the top of the list I was just pointing out that it has taken him 15 years to 'officially' get the "No. 1" title.

Olivier
Geoff designs and builds everthing on his boat, I think the only things he buys are the mast section and a few fittings. Everything else he makes himself and is constantly modify and improving.
Most other top skippers would be buying ready made packages mostly of either Kiwi or Aus designs.
Alan Hayes NZL