2004 Europeans entry regulations

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

Steve Landeau

2004 Europeans entry regulations

Post by Steve Landeau » 12 Dec 2003, 21:12

A few of us in the USA have expressed interest in going to the European Championship. Has Arcos been officially named as host? When can we expect more information?
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Ken Dobbie

2004 Europeans

Post by Ken Dobbie » 13 Dec 2003, 13:28

My understanding is that entries from non European DM's has, in the past been restricted. What is the IOM-ICA's policy in this regard please?

There are a number of AUS skippers wishing to compete but they would need to know fairly soon as to the prospects of getting a spot.

Ken Dobbie

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 13 Dec 2003, 15:20

In 2002, only 5 spots were held open for non-Europeans. The 5 spots were filled, but I don't think there was much more interest than that. This year, it appears different. The outside countries may need to come up with some way to "decide" who get to go if there is alot of interest. I'm sure Canada will have interest as well.
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Post by Chairman » 18 Dec 2003, 17:53

For information:

The dates of Arcos IOM European Championships are 8 - 16 October 2004.

October 8 Friday. Registration, Practice, Event Measurement
October 9 Saturday. Registration, Practice, Event measurement. Opening Ceremonies, Cocktails
October 10 Sunday. Racing Day. International Measurement Seminar
October 11 Monday. Racing Day. International Measurement Seminar
October 12 Tuesday. Racing Day. BBQ
October 13 Wednesday. Reserve Day. Sight seeing
October 14 Thursday. Racing Day. Organised dinner
October 15 Friday. Racing Day. IOMICA Executive Committee meeting
October 16 Saturday. Last Racing Day. Awards Cocktail, Closing ceremonies

Entry regulations are still under discussion. The Notice of Race is expected real soon... :)
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

Nigel

Entry

Post by Nigel » 09 Jan 2004, 14:24

Any details when to expect the notice of race for the EC 2004?

Cheers
Nigel Winkley
GER 87

ole_peder
NOR NCA Officer
Sail number: NOR 44
Design: NOR 44
Norway

Post by ole_peder » 09 Jan 2004, 16:57

I have seen NOR and Entry form on the Portuguise web site:
http://apmv.planetaclix.pt/ under the link "Calendario de regatas para 2004"

If they are issued fro the Spanish organizers why arent they available in the IOM-ICA site?
Ole Peder Bjørsom
Chairman NOR NCA

Roy Thompson

Post by Roy Thompson » 14 Jan 2004, 00:45

This is a mistake and the 'official' NOR and entry form will be available to everyone in the next few days it is hoped.
Roy Thompson
"WE DON'T SEE THINGS AS THEY ARE, WE SEE THINGS AS WE ARE" A.N.

Tito Llana

IOM European Championships, Arcos 2004

Post by Tito Llana » 14 Jan 2004, 13:40

In a week or so: start the web site with details.
Tito Llana

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 26 Jan 2004, 04:32

Event Regulations - " Nine months before the first day of the championship, the Organising Authority shall publish the Notice of Race. This shall be in the ISAF-RSD Standard Notice of Race format and conform to the requirements of the RRS. Any requested modifications to the Standard Notice of Race from the Organising Authority shall be sent to the EC Chairman for approval eleven months before the event."

Is the NOR posted somewhere? It should be by now.....
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Tito Llana

Post by Tito Llana » 27 Jan 2004, 02:01

Dear Steve,

Now, we are testing carefully various possibilities for the adequated number of non europeans entrants... New IOMICA Regulations need a carefull drafting.

In a few days you will be satisfied... sorry by the delay but this year is a little diferent, IOMICA events is in development.

Do you know if there is in prevision at some future time a north-american championships?

I would be very happy to help you, and others, to organise it in USA.

Best regards

VC Events
Tito Llana

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 27 Jan 2004, 02:44

Thanks for the update, Tito.
We have casually discussed the possibilities of having a North American Championship. Our (the local guys here in SoCal) main concern is how many entries we would get from abroad. If we get minimal world participation, it won't be much different than a National event, but at a much higher cost. With the recent growth in the US, the possibilities of a Championship regatta are greater.
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

Roy Thompson

Post by Roy Thompson » 27 Jan 2004, 16:42

I'm not sure on the minimum requirements for entry numbers at continental champs - anybody know?, but the logistical/financial question is no doubt very important also.
I would really like to see continental champs in the Americas and Oceania. Entries 'from abroad' as you say would be at least from the same continent. Surely there is now enough interest in USA, CAN, BRA and (I don't know if there are) other Central or Southern American fleets? In Oceania I can imagine also a terrific event with AUS, NZL plus some others?
The pressure on the Europeans organisers to allow non-European entries is somewhat cruel if it means that a European sailor can not compete. Obviously if there are spare places left unfilled, then all are welcome, but that's not too practical from the point of view of planning for the competitors.
I agree that standards of events need to be kept as high as possible, but here in Europe we have a huge fleet, and naturally there are in theory plenty of sailors to fill the spaces allocated. Spare places are often due to the financial strain of a 10 day visit to another country, taking your holidays away from the family, difficulty in taking holidays outside of your companies permitted normal period (or if your self employed, shutting up shop for 2 weeks whilst you jet off to sail in foreign parts) etc... and this is something that needs to be addressed by event organisers. Cheap, quality hotels /accomodation, family activities and plenty of sponsorship to keep costs for competitors down to an absolute minimum. As anyone travelling from AUS or NZL to Europe, or vice versa, knows, the flight alone can cost a fortune, even with buying ahead of time and bargain hunting.
Just some ramblings.
Roy Thompson
"WE DON'T SEE THINGS AS THEY ARE, WE SEE THINGS AS WE ARE" A.N.