Commercial boats

Discuss how IOMICA and IOM NCAs operate

Moderators: Pedro Egea, Gary Boell, Fred Rocha USA 33

Ife

Commercial boats

Post by Ife » 19 Aug 2004, 03:32

Hello everybody. I'm new to this, so I apologise if I do this incorrectly. Please can anyone tell me what commercially available kits comply with the 1M class, specifically the MRP Voyager?
Also, can a boat that complies with the 36" restricted class be raced in a 1M regatta?
Thank you for your attentions to this cry for advice.
Best wishes
Ife (pronounced "ee-feh")
Best wishes
Ife
xxx : )

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Re: Commercial boats

Post by Chairman » 19 Aug 2004, 08:55

Ife wrote:Please can anyone tell me what commercially available kits comply with the 1M class, specifically the MRP Voyager?
Hi Ife

You'd need to check that a 1000 mm length boat conformed to the IOM class rules. The key requirements are that it weighs at least 4 kg, has an overall draught between 370 mm and 420 mm, its keel weighs between 2200 and 2500 g, and its sails measure to quite close tolerances (as specified in the IOM class rules) for foot, luff, and quarter widths.

The only "real" kit IOM I know of is the Robbe "Windstar", useful description at John's site http://home.comcast.net/~jrflorida/kit_ioms.html.

Climate Models sell the "Epoch" in an IOM version, but its keel is a flat plate. http://climateboatworks.bizland.com/store/page0.html

It does depend how "complete" you want your kit, what your building skills are, and, I guess, how much you wish to pay. Many IOM suppliers will sell you a basic hull moulding, a bag of fittings, and instructions, but these would require quite a few hours of patient building and are certainly not ARS (almost ready to sail).
Also, can a boat that complies with the 36" restricted class be raced in a 1M regatta?
Well, maximum length of an IOM is 1000 mm, but anything less than that is fine (though somewhat unusual!). Anything that measures to the IOM class rules can race in an IOM regatta. A boat called a "one metre" or "1M" is not necessarily an IOM; it all depends on whether it measures as an IOM.

Good luck!
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

Arvin S.

commercial IOM

Post by Arvin S. » 25 Aug 2004, 11:26

Well, maximum length of an IOM is 1000 mm, but anything less than that is fine (though somewhat unusual!). Anything that measures to the IOM class rules can race in an IOM regatta. A boat called a "one metre" or "1M" is not necessarily an IOM; it all depends on whether it measures as an IOM.

Hey Lester and Ife,

I have always been interested in this subject of Mass produced IOMs, since I got interested with IOMs. I even sent a question before about the legality of using Soling One meters in an IOM class.

Ife, yes you have to be careful about the terms, "1m" because there are lots of boats that are 1 meter in length but not all of them will be class legal for IOM. In fact most non IOM specific boats need modification in one way or the other to be IOM class legal, one almost sure modification that is needed are the "sails and rig" because as Lester said the IOM rules is very strict about the Rigs.

Now Lester, what you said though is very interesting, you actually answered a question I have had for some time now. If IOM rules say 1000mm max, then a 36 incher boat can in fact be allowed into IOM as long the boat conforms with the rest of the class rules, eg. have 4kgs min weight, draft, etc. etc. and again most importantly sails.

Understandably though (Ife please take note) that a 36 incher boat will already have a big handicap against a 1meter boat in most circumstance. One of the basic rules with boats is the longer it is the more speed potential it has. :) Of course a 36 incher that has a 4kg weight will also be considered overweight already. So I really can't imagine a situation when a 36" IOM legal boat will out perform a 1 meter IOM. Any thoughts on this Lester? ;)

Ife, one suggestion if you want to get into IOMs at the least cost is to try to build your own, by getting free plans from the net or buy from someone like sails etc. That is if you are willing to learn (or if you are experienced) with making planking and making a wooden boat. If I had more time to spare I would probably make one myself :)

On the other hand I have seen photos of a US One Design One Meter (ODOM) which was converted to IOM class. The owner added bow bumpers, bought an IOM rig and converted the Keel to have the correct weight and length according to IOM class rules.

TTFN
Arvin

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Re: commercial IOM

Post by Chairman » 25 Aug 2004, 23:37

Arvin S. wrote:So I really can't imagine a situation when a 36" IOM legal boat will out perform a 1 meter IOM
Hi Arvin

If the 36" boat has a lower wetted surface area, she'll have lower drag in light airs.
Chairman
IOMICA Executive