IOM European Championships 2010 => FRA Pierrelatte

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

Peter Allen

Re: IOM European Championships 2010 => FRA Pierrelatte

Post by Peter Allen » 25 Sep 2010, 15:43

Hi Oliver,i am not getting any live video feed as yet, is anyone out there getting anything?? Regards Peter

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
Sail number: FRA 100
Design: Venti
France

Post by Olivier Cohen » 26 Sep 2010, 20:38

There had been a technical issue at the beginning of the afternoon, but then it went well I heard.
Enjoy ! (tomorrow 9 AM CET)
IOMICA Chairman

Hiljoball
Sail number: CAN 307
Club: West Coast Radio Sailing
Design: V8
Canada

Post by Hiljoball » 26 Sep 2010, 21:46

Hi Oliver,

I am getting the video in Canada ok. The only problem is that the aspect ratio is distorted. The picture is too tall, so people are tall and skinny and the rigs and fins all look way too long.

John
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity

Jeff Kay
IRL NCA Officer

Post by Jeff Kay » 26 Sep 2010, 23:37

Looks fine from here, follow the justin.tv link from the website.
Jeff

Peter Allen

Post by Peter Allen » 27 Sep 2010, 03:13

Yes Oliver,it was enjoyable being able to watch it live ,Thanks France Peter

Peter Allen

Post by Peter Allen » 27 Sep 2010, 12:45

It's Monday morning here and we cannot connect to the video as yet,hope it will be sorted out soon,i now can enjoy what everyone who could not attend the last worlds was watching,this is a great recipe for doing no work or getting fired :D Peter

RoyL

Post by RoyL » 04 Oct 2010, 17:39

First, I would like to say "thank you" to the staff and organizers of the European Championship in France. Although I didn't attend I have heard nothing but positive feedback from the event. I know how hard these big races are to pull off and how much time and effort is required. Thanks again all.

Now that the event is over, though, two things come to mind. One, there seemed to be a lack of coverage of the Euros here on the IOMICA forum. If we want this forum to be vibrant again and the number one source of all things "IOM", I think some effort needs to be made by the Executive to use the forum regularly and to use the forum to keep us all up to date on issues, events and developments in the class. The Event website was great, but it would have been nice to see activity here.

Two, we all need to remember that this last Euro championship almost didn't happen because no country submitted a bid by the initial deadline. I believe the complexity and cost of our continental and world championships have gotten to a point where it is going to be very hard to find hosts in the future. I urge the Executive to focus on this problem and come up with proposals to the memberships on how we can best go forward.

Hiljoball
Canada

Post by Hiljoball » 04 Oct 2010, 20:03

One problem that comes with the success of the IOM class is the large fleet that assembles for major events. This requires us to run heats. To minimise protest hearings we have ‘on the water’ calls and ‘no appeals’ to ensure no adjustments to the promotion/relegations implicit in the HMS heat system.

One major cost in high level regattas is the provision of approved judges in order to run a ‘no appeals’ event.

We could reduce our costs if we could find a waiver on the ISAF standards for judges for such events. This is also part of the class rules as an International class. There is a precedent for such a blanket waiver in the US Sail prescriptions relating to R 70.5 that grants exemption to US colleges for their events. To achieve this kind of blanket exemption for RC regattas around the world would be best achieved by a similar addition to Appendix E.

I suspect that not having international level jurists at these regattas will have implication relating to perceptions about fairness of ‘on the water’ calls and hearings and the conduct of competitors.

Do we want the trade offs to help bring down the costs?

John
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity

Roy648

Post by Roy648 » 04 Oct 2010, 21:39

There is already a blanket exception for racing under HMS. It is called 70.5(a).

I have had discussions on this very matter with a senior ISAF committee member and it was he that offered the opinion that our form of racing requires the result to be known immediately.

There are two situations where this would not apply. The first being if a host NA prescribed that their permission is required. The second is the “A” heat in the very last race.

For the last “A’ heat he suggested that the host NA appoint an appeal committee that could be on site to hear any appeal immediately (with appropriate documentation within the NOR and SI).

Whilst the need for IJs does not exist there is still the need to ensure a perception of quality for umpiring. Should we not be looking within our own ranks to solve this problem as reports I have had regarding big boat umpires in radio sailing leaves a lot to be desired.
Roy Granich

Hiljoball
Canada

Post by Hiljoball » 05 Oct 2010, 01:31

Hi Roy,

What I am getting at is ISAF reg 26.10 (in the section Regulations on Administering International or Recognized Classes )

26.10 Appoint an International Jury for the World Championships unless otherwise agreed with ISAF.

I think that is the section that requires us to have an International jury at the World (and continental) championship.

But the wording of that regulation seems to me to open the door to the possibility of running the Worlds without an international jury. If we wanted to go in that direction, then I am suggesting that by codifying such an exemption in appendix E, it would also over-ride any national authority prescriptions on the issue and so cover national championships too. (My research found that the USA is the only country with such a prescription at present).

John
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity

Brig North

Post by Brig North » 07 Oct 2010, 00:02

I can't thank the organizers enough for such wonderful coverage, allowing us to be able to watch from afar. Due to time differences, I only got to watch the last races of the day, but they were awesome. It was a joy to watch such a tough, competitive group of sailors as assembled for the regatta.

I am certainly glad that the regatta occurred and was not quashed at inception. It would have been more than a shame to be denied watching most of the best in IOMs sailing in the challenging conditions. And I have to say, Brad Gibson, you missed your calling as a broadcaster!! That was gold!

Good for you, Olivier and company, for following through with a tough, competitive regatta. And congratulations to the fleet for some fun sailing to watch!

Brig North
Dallas, TEXAS, USA

Olivier Cohen
IOMICA Chairman
Sail number: FRA 100
Design: Venti
France

Post by Olivier Cohen » 07 Oct 2010, 09:04

Thanks Brig, but the guy who organised all this is Pierre Gonnet !

Regarding broadcasting, we were happy(and lucky) to find an association of videomakers who could film all week for a quite low cost.
Hopefully it could be reproduced for future events !
IOMICA Chairman