Sheet winches

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Nigel28
Sail number: CAN 28
Design: Vancouver

Sheet winches

Post by Nigel28 » 16 Mar 2004, 17:44

Hi All
I was disapointed to find out that whirlwind no longer sell new winches, allthough they still repair and service old ones. This means that for my next project I will have to try something new, rather than going the "safe" tried and tested route.
So , my question is does anyone have any comments on the new Hitec arm winch, especially the mods that are made by Kbits? Could you buy a stock servo and use it as delivered or do you also need the programmer that is available?
Nigel Ashman
CAN 328

spaldi01

Post by spaldi01 » 17 Mar 2004, 15:27

I thought the same as you and bought a stock servo when I saw it at my local model shop. The problem is it doesn’t have enough travel, or a suitable arm, or is waterproof. So I ended up sending mine to Ken Binks to be set up. So my advice would be purchase it from him directly.

Initially I was disappointed with it but I have now managed to sort all the problems out and I am delighted and I would not consider using a drum winch on a IOM again. It can draw 5A so the wiring needs to be up to the job and the batteries need to be high capacity ones. I use 2000Mah NiMH which last all day. When sheeted fully in the sheets need to be parallel with the arm as per Kens instructions. This reduces the turning moment on the servo and also allows very fine close hauled sheet control. When sheeted fully out I also physically limit how far the sheets can be drawn out by the sails so that there is no load on the winch.

I regularly sail in 25-30mph winds and have no problems being able to sheet in. At my club a lot of the members also use the HS8155BB which I believe is also worth considering. Don’t be put off by its low price.

Greg Vasileff

Post by Greg Vasileff » 17 Mar 2004, 18:49

8) ......Futaba s5801..... 8)

I know there has been some bad rap on these, but I use 5 of them now, some for three years, and I've never had any problems.

Light, fast , strong, and very easy to adjust.
Greg V

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 18 Mar 2004, 07:22

Greg Vasileff wrote:8) ......Futaba s5801..... 8)

I know there has been some bad rap on these, but I use 5 of them now, some for three years, and I've never had any problems.

Light, fast , strong, and very easy to adjust.
There are 2 kinds of 5801 owners,
those that have had failures, and those that will.... (Ive had 4 failures)
RMG is the way of present, and future. The new D model is simply amazing!
Iv'e not used the Hitec, so I can't comment on it. The Binks brothers have had good results, so it's obviously do-able. Price is attractive (very).
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

edmorales

Post by edmorales » 18 Mar 2004, 09:18

hello guys!
my iom has the rmg 280c. has anybody tried upgrading a 280c to the d model? is this feasible?
ed morales :?:

Brad Gibson

Post by Brad Gibson » 18 Mar 2004, 10:29

Hi Ed,

I am sure that Rob would be able to modify your 280c to a d model.

I too must agree with Steve that the 280d is a great sailwinch backed up with impecable service. It has a much smoother feel than the 'c' & the speed can be adjusted to suit any preference.

Though i have not used one, i hear many good reports also on the arm winch supplied by K Bits & Ken's service to match.

As IOM sailors, we do sail in some harsh enviroments at times & i would strongly suggest using a sailwinch that is readily available with good backup servicing support.

As allways it comes down to personal preference (& what can be easily fitted to your hull :D ).

Cheers
BG

edmorales

Post by edmorales » 18 Mar 2004, 11:22

hello brad,
thanks for the input.i guess the upgrade from "c" to "d" would be a wise investment. i'll get to save some bucks. the only downside is that my boat will have to be winchless a few weeks while the winch gets a brain transplant.
regards
ed morales :idea:

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 18 Mar 2004, 15:58

Hi, Ed.
I'll bet if you notify Rob that it's coming, you'll only be waiting for shipping time. He'll turn it quickly.
The Aus. Airmail is better than our USPS!. I guess it's cause we're on the west coast, but my shipping is only 3 days.
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

ron

sheet winches

Post by ron » 18 Mar 2004, 19:15

hi ed,
i've had the same experience as steve. burnt up three 5801s and fast turnaround by rob ( i, also, live on the westcoast of the u.s.).
the 5801 does not like to be stalled. it will burn up very fast. use max of 6v. they work alright at 4.8v.
the 280d is a nice winch. it is very smart as advertised. i have two one was up graded by rob at a modest price. if you sail in salt water, do the preventive maintenance as he prescribes. you need to do this regularly but less often for nonsalt water. corrosion of connectors has been the problem with one exception. that one was very corroded darn near everywhere. cause poor maintenance. contact him by email. he respond quickly, if not on holiday(vacation to us).
ron

Jeff Kay
IRL NCA Officer

Post by Jeff Kay » 18 Mar 2004, 20:12

I've just got a new 280d and it's extremely good - see attached link for upgrade prices in AUD.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/rmgsw/services.htm#uc

Jeff

edmorales

whirlwind winches

Post by edmorales » 12 Apr 2004, 14:22

hmmmmm...whirlwind has closed shop
http://www.whirlwindwinches.co.uk/ :!: