IRSD

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

RoyL

IRSD

Post by RoyL » 22 Jul 2014, 16:12

It appears that in record time there is trouble among the new "management" team at IRSD. At least three members of the executive committee have resigned claiming significant issues with the new Chairman's governing style and agenda.

I think this is truly a shame and a real set back for model yachting. I had personally hoped that his time away from any executive position in r/c sailing had mellowed Lester Gilbert and had made him more sensitive to the views of others and able to find compromises that satisfied everyone's needs and agendas. Unfortunately, this situation at IRSD seems to suggest that Lester may be back to his old habit of "My way or the highway".

In looking at some of the proposals being suggested by IRSD--mandatory periodic review and re-writing of class rules comes immediately to mind--and our classes's history (both good and bad) with Lester Gilbert, it makes me think that it might be time for IOMICA to not so quickly conclude a new governance agreement with IRSD.

desf
Club: Maritzburg Radio Yacht Club

Re: IRSD

Post by desf » 22 Jul 2014, 19:51

Roy. Just a small correction. It is IRSA.
Yes it is not great and is very unfortunate as IRSA has now lost some excellent enthusiastic volunteers. Unfortunately this has all happened at a time when IRSA was gaining momentum in the right direction. It may be the right time to conclude a new governance agreement with IRSA especially when you read the proposed responsibilities of the Racing Committee in their documentation calling for nominations for the Technical Committee. "The elected committee will be asked to assist the Chair in formulating and sophisticating rules of measurement and boat design for the current IRSA classes (IOM, 10R, A Class and M class)." Also not sure the RCL Class would appreciate their class rules being "sophisticated".

RoyL

Post by RoyL » 22 Jul 2014, 20:24

Sorry about the title--guess I jumbled the old "RSD" together with the new "IRSA".

Bruce Andersen
USA NCA Officer
Sail number: USA 16
Club: Famous Potatoes Sailing Club
Design: Brit Pop

Post by Bruce Andersen » 23 Jul 2014, 18:22

IMHO, 3 options exist:

1) Re-sign the affiliation agreement with IRSA and live with whatever new items they draft that impacts our class. Not sure this is smart, based on history.

2) Sever our ties with IRSA and affiliate directly with ISAF - this will not work inasmuch as ISAF has delegated all things R/C to IRSA as well as being prohibitively costly.

3) Sever our ties with IRSA and simply exist as an independent international organization. This may become problematic if we try to use the term "World Championship" or "Continental Championship" for our big regattas since ISAF 'owns' those phrases but in all other aspects will free the class from outside influences and power struggles.
Bruce Andersen - USA 16
No longer a USA NCA Officer, but can't change my profile!

David L Alston
Sail number: 3011
Club: Leicestershire RYC UK
Design: Fatboy

Post by David L Alston » 25 Jul 2014, 00:39

Gentlemen,Gentlemen,

I really do not know, neither do I pretend to know, the circumstances in which these gentlemen resigned from IRSA Executive Committee.

It is indeed a pity that they did resign since this action will ultimately serve no purpose what so ever. In a few months’ time their gesture of decent will be long forgotten or worse may be seen as irritating and disruptive or even churlish.

I am however more than certain that whatever motions were passed or decisions taken, that vexed these gentlemen so, were indeed passes / taken democratically by the entire Executive Committee and were in accordance with their manifesto and as such should not have come as a surprise.

The one thing that is clear is that the IRSA has transformed in a few months from a little discussed and relatively unknown organisation to something quite controversial.

When last was there an election where all the post were so fiercely and publically contested.

When last did a group campaign at that level and CLEARLY SET OUT THEIR OBJECTIVES?

Gentlemen, they were ELECTED… so at least half the voting member countries agreed with their objectives.

I must thank the 9 countries that voted for me. But 10 voted for my opponent.

n

RoyL

Post by RoyL » 28 Jul 2014, 17:04

Just to be clear--it appears that the controversy at IRSA that lead to these multiple resignations was in fact over whether the new Chairman had exceeded his authority and whether motions he was putting forth were "passed democratically". It should also be noted that the slate headed by Lester Gilbert was not elected in its entirety. Basically, the vote left the IRSA board split pretty evenly between existing officers and the opposition slate. Clearly, not a mandate to impose any one sided agenda from either point of view. And yet....

David L Alston
Sail number: 3011
Club: Leicestershire RYC UK
Design: Fatboy

Post by David L Alston » 02 Aug 2014, 10:28

Gentlemen,

I should repeat that I really do not know, neither do I pretend to know, or have any idea what has transpired behind the closed doors of the IRSA or the Councils of the Member Countries.

Similarly I should reiterate my belief that resigning from a post for the reasons suggested does little to install confidence in the judgment of these gentlemen and does nothing to further their cause. This action might be considered as a betrayal of the confidence of those Member Countries who supported their candidature and voted for them.

One might even suggest that their resignations may have damaged the IRSA to some degree. What must ISAF be thinking one must ask:-

Grumpy old men with delusions of grandeur squabbling about sailing Radio Controlled Boats on a pond !

Would you not agree that your, Roy’l and Bruce Andersen‘s posting are/is to a degree lacking in accuracy, completeness and objectivity with statements like:-

‘Just to be clear’
‘-it APPEARS that the controversy’ -
‘the GROUP headed by Lester Gilbert was not elected in its entirety’
‘the IRSA board split … between existing officers and the opposition’

Forgive me but I cannot find anything definite, constructive or indeed what YOUR view is in these posting – perhaps you might share them with us ?

Have we forgotten that the there are no ‘existing officers’ at the end of their term of office; what remains are simply only Candidates who might be elected or re-elected , i.e. those who are willing to give of their time and effort to the furtherance of Radio Sailing for the THAT term of office.

Have we forgotten that each elected Officer is a member of the IRSA Executive and not some independent sinister organisation?

I have confidence that the Councils of the Member Countries are in constant touch with one another and monitoring the situation closely.

Just as I must believe that the IRSA is acting with the best interests of Radio Sailing at hart without personal prejudice or a hidden agenda.

Bruce Andersen
USA NCA Officer
Sail number: USA 16
Club: Famous Potatoes Sailing Club
Design: Brit Pop

Post by Bruce Andersen » 04 Aug 2014, 22:21

If you admit that you don't know, your comments that follow are speculative - common web courtesy is to preface personal speculation with some sort of disclaimer to that fact.

Not quite sure which part of my post you feel is lacking in accuracy, completeness, or objectivity - kindly clarify your accusations.

Once you realize they are without merit, I'll be happy to accept your apology.
Bruce Andersen - USA 16
No longer a USA NCA Officer, but can't change my profile!

Hiljoball
Sail number: CAN 307
Club: West Coast Radio Sailing
Design: V8
Canada

Post by Hiljoball » 06 Aug 2014, 18:41

John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity