MX14 Setup Information

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

David L Alston
Sail number: 3011
Club: Leicestershire RYC UK
Design: Fatboy

MX14 Setup Information

Post by David L Alston » 04 Dec 2014, 07:41

MX14 Setup Information

Gentlemen,
Has anyone established any MX14 setup data. mast rake etc. for general wind conditions.

After sailing my faithful old tubby boat for some years now I am hoping to make the migration to this new , and narrow boat as painless as possible and need a starting point.

Thank you

Dave

David L Alston

Re: MX14 Setup Information

Post by David L Alston » 13 Dec 2014, 23:46

I will confess to being more than a little disappointed in the responses thus far .

I did have a sail last week with this boat but was dogged with erratic performance but then it was an erratic wind. Feast to famine as it were...

I had the mast as forward as it goes and the boat was nicely balanced in the light stuff but it went mad when the wing hit it .. it just stopped and laid over.

I guess I will get it in the end

Dave

David L Alston

Post by David L Alston » 14 Dec 2014, 21:24

I have temporally moved the Headsail No1 rig sheeting position 20mm forward. The point being 230mm aft of the attachment point and the jib sheeting sheet point also to 230mm from the swivel position.

It made a tremendous difference in the blustery conditions that prevail today.

Now the jig seems to balance nicely as you sheet off and foot and does not stall out all the time.

Well perhaps it is me ... probably is my imagination but I am getting some confidence in the boat and rig. I still do not seem to get enough forestay tension and the Headsail boom is lifting .. This I know because the toping lift keeps getting hung up on the spreaders , something I have not experienced on wider boats.

I still have not drilled a hole for a bung -- but I only accumulated about a teaspoon full of water all morning and was hard over and got ducked a few times.- well quite a few times . I really should have been in a No2 suit.

Perhaps this might coax some comment from other owners of this clubman boat and heaven knows there are enough of us.

Dave

David L Alston

Post by David L Alston » 23 Dec 2014, 11:35

I still remain hopeful of some response to this post / topic since there are so many of these boat out there. I sincerely believe it would be useful to share some ideas.

This is why I have dug this out again.

Mizi Mat
Sail number: MAS 87
Club: Radio Control Sailing Malaysia
Design: MX14

Post by Mizi Mat » 16 Jan 2015, 06:51

Hi Dave..

I have one!!! :D ,,, this is my setup :

Sail : Black Magic
Rigs : from sailsetc

Mizi

David L Alston

Post by David L Alston » 20 Jan 2015, 08:08

Mizi,
Thank you for the information, it was most invaluable. I shall store it in my database for prosperity, the round one adjacent to my desk.

I take it you will be sailing in the world championship this year.

However since my original posting, MX Components came to my aid and kindly sent me the attached drawing. You probably will not find it of any interest but I am sure others might.

I know I found it of help and the boat now has a nice balance particularly in light air.

Regards
Dave
Attachments
MX14 (1).pdf
(39.15 KiB) Downloaded 3958 times

Mizi Mat
Sail number: MAS 87
Club: Radio Control Sailing Malaysia
Design: MX14

Post by Mizi Mat » 20 Jan 2015, 16:21

Hi Dave,

Fyi, im still newbee in rc sailing..
Got this boat from thailand builder via my sailing buddy, not much info about rigs measurement and etc,,, just refer to experience skipper from my sailing club,, so far so good, what i can say is,, this boat is quit fast, we have about 15 boat sailing, i manage to get 3rd places most of the race :) ,,, my sailing skill is not so good, but the boat is fast,,, :)

David L Alston

Post by David L Alston » 15 Apr 2015, 07:45

Tai

You will note that the same information is missing

1/ Hound position
2/ Spreader position
3/ Spreader length

The information contained in the sketch will only give you the mast rake and mast step height. i.e. the suggested jib band to deck height.

In this instance the dimension are present to set the bulb angle. I will confess that I found them near impossible to use since reliably finding the datum point on the bow is not easy. However the range of 524 to 530 will provide an amassing range of bulb angles compounded by the missing dimension. The hull to top of bulb dimension.

Dave

Frank Russell
Sail number: AUS 5
Club: Northern Mariners
Design: Goth MX7

Post by Frank Russell » 27 May 2015, 00:32

Attached is the current Rigging Guide from FRD. This includes the missing information. The guide also applies to the Goth XP.

What was found with the MX14 is the supplied fin was too soft. I now use a Lincoln McDowell Fin (Red Ant). This has transformed the boat. The boat is also trimmed as supplied too stern down. The ballast must also be moved forward so the bow bumper is just kissing the water.

Frank
FRD
Attachments
MX14 rigging Guide.pdf
Current FRD Rigging Guide
(89.88 KiB) Downloaded 3485 times

David L Alston

Post by David L Alston » 28 May 2015, 01:44

Frank ,

I have all but given up. I too had come to the conclusion that the fin is too soft and twists --- healed the boat over and simply watched it. I did cut a Creed fin down but I had to take such a lot away, fore and aft, that it flexed just as badly.

I do wish that the fin simply stepped into a slot

So the burning question is where does one acquire a Lincoln McDowell Fin ....in the UK.

Dave

Frank Russell

Post by Frank Russell » 28 May 2015, 07:12

You do have to cut he fin down to fit the rectangular fin case but that shouldn't effect the stiffness. You also have to build it up to fit the case. It surprises me that the Creed fin was too soft. I hear the new MX fins are stiffer but I don't know.

You can get a Linc fin from Dave Thomas in Melbourne: joscelle@bigpond.net.au

Frank
Attachments
Fin weighta.jpg
Fin weighta.jpg (33.62 KiB) Viewed 21899 times

David L Alston

Post by David L Alston » 30 May 2015, 19:50

Frank,
Sorry for the belated response. Thank you for that
2018 hits
Yes you might have thought so, the Creed Fin being very strong but you have to cut so much away at the top of the fin to make it fit ..and cut it in altogether the wrong place that the problem is not resolved ... It bends and twists at the top --where the moment arm is the greatest and the section is essentially the weakest - not win there !

Sketch attached .. see the notch taking 18 mm out of the leading edge where the fin would have been the strongest and this is coincidentally with the bulb centre of gravity making is not very stable in twist.

But that's how it is.- What do you think Frank

Dave
Attachments
Drawing19 Model (1).pdf
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 1324 times

Frank Russell

Post by Frank Russell » 31 May 2015, 02:16

Okay. We have done two Lincoln McDowell fins with great success. I think Lin'cs fins are better than Creeds anyway.