Distance of windward separation mark

Discuss class championship regulations, sailing instructions, umpiring, observing, scoring software, fleet racing systems, forthcoming international events, etc

Moderator: Rob Walsh

JohnB

Distance of windward separation mark

Post by JohnB » 11 Jun 2018, 04:18

Is there a standard distance of the windward separation mark,e.g greater than the 4 boat lengths of both marks say 8.5 meters?

Similarly for the width of the leeward gate?

Hiljoball
Sail number: CAN 307
Club: West Coast Radio Sailing
Design: V8
Canada

Re: Distance of windward separation mark

Post by Hiljoball » 11 Jun 2018, 15:21

Hi John,
The ARYA Race Management manual recommends a minimum of 5 boat lengths for the offset at the windward end, and a minimum of 8 boat lengths for the gate marks.

I would add for the windward offset, that it be far enough away that a boat has cleared the windward mark before reaching the zone of the offset to avoid any R 18 Mark Room claim issues. So I would suggest a minimum of 6 lengths and 10 is fine, but little value on going further away.

I would add that the gate marks be no more than 10 boat lengths apart or any bias tends to cause many boats to use one side over the other, defeating the purpose - and if this starts to happen, it is time to adjust one end.

John

John
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity

JohnB

Post by JohnB » 17 Jun 2018, 09:58

Hello John
Thanks for your answer.

David Alston
Sail number: 11
Club: Bournville
Design: V9

Post by David Alston » 21 Jun 2018, 23:47

Gate Marks

John
One of the objectives is to discourage boat from coming through the Left ( effectively port round the Mark ) and immediately tacking across the gate , to starboard tack and the chaos that is sure to follow.

Perhaps you don't get the level of entry to your events that we get

:wink:

It might be good to explain why the marks should be set at those distance's apart and the relation to conflict of Rule 18 when 10 boat are piling up .
:wink:

Hiljoball
Sail number: CAN 307
Club: West Coast Radio Sailing
Design: V8
Canada

Post by Hiljoball » 22 Jun 2018, 00:28

Hi David,
it sounds like you are mixing up gate marks with offset marks.

The purpose of a downwind gate is to allow the fleet to split between two marks and especially to break a cover and split tacks with a boat that is just ahead of you. The purpose of an offset mark is to separate the boats that have already rounded and are on the next leg, from the boats still heading for the mark.

John
John Ball
CRYA #895
IOM CAN 307 V8
In my private capacity