Registering an IOM??

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Laurent Schock

Registering an IOM??

Post by Laurent Schock » 19 Jul 2005, 11:41

First, sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, was hesitating to post it under "Measurement and Measurers"...as I read the "how-to" thread...but couldn't find an answer...

I'd like to know how the registration works, let me be more precise, does it work with:
-nationality
-residence (I herewith mean the OFFICIAL Address)
-the ACTUAL address or country

Thank you for your help
-Laurent Schock

Roy Thompson

Post by Roy Thompson » 19 Jul 2005, 12:41

I might be able to help, one because I am a British national, officially resident in Spain, and 2 because I am VC Measurements which sort of includes the boat registration process.

You would normally register your IOM in the country where you regularly sail, which is 'normally' where you live and whare you are resident - for example, my IOM is registered in Spain although I am British. I can imagine quite a few situations where you may live in one country but sail normally in another (if you live close to the border or the country is very small and has no DM/IOM NCA etc??? etc) in which case I have so far found no exact rules to guide me.

I will continue to look for examples to help us on this but my initial reaction is that the 'actual' address is likely to be the country you live and sail in so that is where you would register if you are a resident there as well. If you actually live in 1 country but are not officially resident there (may be rather administratively illegal -depends on the country???), I would imagine that the NCA/DM of that country may allow you to sail (depends on them) if your stay in the country is temporary but would expect you to register there and/or possibly be a national if you wanted to compete in certain 'national' or higher events.

Before I confuse you more, can you give me specific details of the case you have in mind please? Where (country) does the sailor actually live?, does the sailor have official residency in that country? and what is his/her nationality? Can you also explain the difference you see between OFFICIAL and ACTUAL address.

If you wish to reply 'off forum' I will be happy to talk to you via email or this forum's personal message box.

Interesting.....
Roy Thompson
"WE DON'T SEE THINGS AS THEY ARE, WE SEE THINGS AS WE ARE" A.N.

Laurent Schock

Post by Laurent Schock » 19 Jul 2005, 13:46

First thanks,

I'll go into details...

I am a Luxembourger living actually in Japan.

I have a working Visa and all the papers are ok , but my official residential address is still in Luxembourg. This address is the one stated on all my official papers (passport, foreigner card aso...).

I know it might be confusing,but in my case, the residential address and living address are different.

As for now, I sail in Japan and plan to do so for at least 2 more years...

Lets hope I didnt confuse people here :?

Thanks
-Laurent Schock

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Re: Registering an IOM??

Post by Chairman » 19 Jul 2005, 18:47

Laurent Schock wrote:I'd like to know how the registration works, does it work with:
-nationality
Hi Laurent

If I may jump in here... I believe Roy is correct, it works with your "normal" address -- that is, the country where you are "normally" working and living. You register your boat with the certification authority of your country of residence.
Last edited by Chairman on 19 Jul 2005, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

Roy Thompson

Post by Roy Thompson » 19 Jul 2005, 18:50

OK, next question, Is your IOM (if you have one) registered already in LUX?
If so I think you may ask the JAP NCA to let you sail 'temporarily' with your LUX sail number - you may not be eligible for some JAP events or if eligibe to compete, may not be eligible to win prizes etc (that's what I believe happens in some countries). If your IOM is not registered yet, you might as well register it in JAP and then when you move on, re-register in the new country.
We have a NZL sailor here in ESP until at least 2007 (working with the Americas Cup) who sails with his IOM and NZL registered boat/sails.
Roy Thompson

Roy Thompson

Post by Roy Thompson » 19 Jul 2005, 18:58

You register your boat with the certification authority of your country of residence.
I think this is the heart of the problem Lester, the 'official contry of residence' isn't always (as in this case, and in others I know of), the same as the 'normal' or real address where the person lives and sails.
When I was working for two years in the Canary Islands (ESP), my official 'residence' was still in UK, although my postal address was in Canaries/Spain where I was working and living - a similar situation to Laurent.
I would also MAYBE check with the JAP DM/NCA regulations (better by internet Laurent to not rouse too much interest) to see if it mentions anything like this.
Roy Thompson

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Post by Chairman » 19 Jul 2005, 19:01

VCmeasurement wrote:I think this is the heart of the problem Lester, the 'official contry of residence' isn't always (as in this case, and in others I know of), the same as the 'normal' or real address where the person lives and sails.
Hi Roy

I was trying to get away from "official" and "real", because there are any number of reasons, tax and employment amongst others, why "official" and "real" are different. I prefer "normal", that is, the country where you would go sailing on Sunday...
Chairman
IOMICA Executive

Laurent Schock

Re: Registering an IOM??

Post by Laurent Schock » 20 Jul 2005, 00:06

Chairman wrote:
Laurent Schock wrote:I'd like to know how the registration works, does it work with:
-nationality
Hi Laurent

If I may jump in here... I believe Roy is correct, it works with your "normal" address -- that is, the country where you are "normally" working and living. You register your boat with the certification authority of your country of residence.
That would be in Japan then....thanks a lot
OK, next question, Is your IOM (if you have one) registered already in LUX?
If so I think you may ask the JAP NCA to let you sail 'temporarily' with your LUX sail number - you may not be eligible for some JAP events or if eligibe to compete, may not be eligible to win prizes etc (that's what I believe happens in some countries). If your IOM is not registered yet, you might as well register it in JAP and then when you move on, re-register in the new country.
We have a NZL sailor here in ESP until at least 2007 (working with the Americas Cup) who sails with his IOM and NZL registered boat/sails.
Before doing something wrong, I prefered to ask!

I will then make contact with the JPN NCA any time soon
Thanks
-Laurent Schock

Rick Martin

Post by Rick Martin » 20 Jul 2005, 05:15

Laurent,
Welcome to Japan. I am a US citizen living in Japan (Tokyo). For tax reasons my official and real residence is Japan. I even have to keep track of where and how many days I spend outside of Japan.
I bought an IOM while living here and it was measured in Japan and registered with a JPN number. I sailed that boat in the 2003 Worlds in Vancouver using the JPN certificate but with USA on the sail as I was entered among the USA allocated positions. I wasn't sure whether I could have sailed with JPN on the sail. I plan to sail the Japan IOM Nationals near Nagoya and the Japanese are currently debating whether I need to remove the USA from the Sails and substitute JPN. I honestly don't know what the right answer should be. Lester? Roy?
Rick Martin
JPN 234
Rick Martin

Laurent Schock

Post by Laurent Schock » 20 Jul 2005, 10:45

Rick Martin wrote:Laurent,
Welcome to Japan. I am a US citizen living in Japan (Tokyo). For tax reasons my official and real residence is Japan. I even have to keep track of where and how many days I spend outside of Japan.
I bought an IOM while living here and it was measured in Japan and registered with a JPN number. I sailed that boat in the 2003 Worlds in Vancouver using the JPN certificate but with USA on the sail as I was entered among the USA allocated positions. I wasn't sure whether I could have sailed with JPN on the sail. I plan to sail the Japan IOM Nationals near Nagoya and the Japanese are currently debating whether I need to remove the USA from the Sails and substitute JPN. I honestly don't know what the right answer should be. Lester? Roy?
Rick Martin
JPN 234
Hi Rick,

I am VERY happy to meet you, to be honest I somehow found a Japanese website where your name was written (JMYS Kantou)...( was like a week ago.) 8)

This is actually my 6th year here in Japan...I live a bit north of you, in Nagano Prefecture...

I am also hoping to participate next year in the regattas, though I never really raced before...just some fun rc sailing for...2,5 years. Worst, I mostly sail alone...and well, it gets "boring"...why I finally decided to get an IOM...though I have to travel a bit, for sure you know that travelling in Japan isn't the cheapest! At least for me.

I hope it's ok to contact you per email for further information on how-to registrate my "very-soonish" boat...

Again, I am very glad to meet you!

Thanks
-Laurent Schock

Chairman
IOMICA Chairman

Post by Chairman » 20 Jul 2005, 17:38

Rick Martin wrote:I bought an IOM while living here and it was measured in Japan and registered with a JPN number ... The Japanese are currently debating whether I need to remove the USA from the Sails and substitute JPN. I honestly don't know what the right answer should be.
Hi Roy

Pretty confident that your sails should read "JPN"...
Chairman
IOMICA Executive