Masts

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

Andy Stevenson
GBR NCA Officer

Masts

Post by Andy Stevenson » 27 Sep 2005, 14:21

Hi all,

Following on from my previous post about suppliers of aluminium tube, I’m still following a few leads for suitable tubing, but it’s looking more & more likely I’m going to Sailsetc or Housemartin for my masts.

Now, this will be my first attempt at putting a rig for an IOM together, so I’ll apologise now if any of these questions seem a little daft, but…

Most people seem to be using 7/16â€
Andy Stevenson
"A little pain never hurt anyone!" Sam, aged 11

awallin

Re: Masts

Post by awallin » 27 Sep 2005, 15:40

Hi Andy,

[quote="andy111"]
Now, this will be my first attempt at putting a rig for an IOM together, so I’ll apologise now if any of these questions seem a little daft, but…
Most people seem to be using 7/16â€

Andy Stevenson
GBR NCA Officer

Re: Masts

Post by Andy Stevenson » 27 Sep 2005, 17:32

VCinfocomms wrote: The reasoning is that 12.7mm is stiff enough to be used without pre-bend on the no1 rig and for the smaller ones 11.1mm is enough, you would not get any significant gains with 12.7mm on the no2 and no3.
Oh, OK. I was kinda getting there :) That makes a whole load of sense, thanks.
I think one of the tricks when setting up an IOM rig is to get as much forestay tension as possible. This is done with swept back shrouds and/or with backstay tension. The problem with exessive backstay tension is that it flattens and distorts the top of the mainsail.
Absolutly agree, backstay tension is about getting a balance between a mast bend to match the mainsail luff & good jibstay tension.
I also find the concept of pre-bend and having to store rigs tensioned not very nice.
Agreed, I’d like a solution that doesn’t rely on me storing the masts under tension. I think a 1/2â€
Andy Stevenson
"A little pain never hurt anyone!" Sam, aged 11

Brig North

Post by Brig North » 01 Oct 2005, 15:41

Anders,

What is the Easton tubing to which you refer?

Thanks.

Brig North

RoyL

Post by RoyL » 01 Oct 2005, 21:08

It is the mast tubing currently being sold by Great Basin in the US. I think Steve Landau also might have a few left.