spreaders

Discuss the IOM class rules and interpretations

Moderators: Pedro Egea, jeffbyerley

ralph kelley

spreaders

Post by ralph kelley » 19 Jul 2006, 16:00

A spreader, by ERS definition is (F1.3 in the 05-08 ERS)
"any equipment attached at one or both ends to spars, sails or other rigging and capable of working in compression"

Is it not obvious that the intent of a spreader is to act in compression. How can a "spreader" act to "de-spread"?

I think that in this case, the english language in not confusing or unclear. Spread means to push out, and the text dealing with compression reflects this.

Ralph

Steve Landeau

Post by Steve Landeau » 19 Jul 2006, 22:17

Keywords "any equipment" and "capable" ( not "does" or "shall").
Steve Landeau
AMYA 10859
IOM USA 112
Finn USA 112
Cal 25 #548

awallin

Post by awallin » 20 Jul 2006, 11:10

Ralph, I'm not sure what you want with this thread.

The quote seems to be from one of my earlier posts.

I think it's perfectly class legal to have short spreaders that pull in the shrouds as long as the spreaders are capable of working in compression.

My suggestion was to allow spreaders acting only in tension (a piece of string), but it seems IOM owners around the world are not so interested in this...

Anders

ralph kelley

spreaders

Post by ralph kelley » 20 Jul 2006, 21:42

Anders:

You are correct in that I thought I was responding to a prior posting.

I also understand that the class has previously decided that spreaders do not need to spread.

Just does not make sense to me, with my understanding of the English language.

But will that change anything? Not likely.

Ralph

Marko Majic

Post by Marko Majic » 21 Jul 2006, 16:22

Hi Ralph,

For what it's worth - I, personally, think that you're right in your view... I have always thought that "short spreaders" are not class legal (and have never put a pair on any of my rigs)... :lol:

My reasoning is simple - ERS defines spreader as "capable of working in compression" rather than the more strict "working in compression" for the simple reason that your leeward spreader will likely not always work in compression (as the shroud slackens) and there's no practical way of insuring that it does (without a rather enormous amount of pre-tension).

People took that to mean that because something is "rigid" (i.e. "short spreader") that it is "capable" of compressive loads. This, in my opinion, is wrong - since a "spreader" that is shorter than the distance from it's attachement points (as measured before attachment) is simply NOT capable of working in compression (and hence is not a spreader)...

The kicking strap that most of us use (Sails Etc) would, by the same logic (because it is made of metal rather than, say, string), also be capable of working in compression (and hence be illegal)... However, the way it is rigged it is clearly not capable of exerting compressive loads and hence is legal. Same could certainly not be said of the "short spreader".

However, they ("short spreaders") have become something of a "convention" in the IOM rigging and they are not any more expensive or complicated - so why rock the proverbial boat? :lol:

Cheers,

Marko
Marko Majic
CAN 16

awallin

Post by awallin » 21 Jul 2006, 16:25

Marko wrote: The kicking strap that most of us use (Sails Etc) would, by the same logic (because it is made of metal rather than, say, string), also be capable of working in compression (and hence be illegal)... However, the way it is rigged it is clearly not capable of exerting compressive loads and hence is legal. Same could certainly not be said of the "short spreader".
Hi Marko,

I remember the 1995 class rules explicitly stating that the kicking strap must be under the boom and act only in tension - but where are the words that in effect mean the same thing now ? in the ERS ? I must be missing something ?

AW

Marko Majic

Post by Marko Majic » 21 Jul 2006, 17:44

Hi Anders,

I have always assumed that because it is a kicking strap (and not, say, strut) that it can only work in tension only (and the explicit 1995 wording was thereafter superfluous by F.2.3)... ERS would not, of course, apply since "kicking strap" is not in bold.

However, I could be wrong (in which case I will certainly look into a rigid strap that will hold my boom up in light airs)... :lol:

The above is somewhat besides my original point which is whether it can be said for a "short spreader" that it is even capable of working in compression...

Come to thing of it - I don't think that "spreader" is in bold type either - which presumably means that this whole business of "compression capabilities" is irrelevant too. In that case, one would have to revert to accepted English language meaning of what it means to "spread" (which to my mind implies "pushing things apart" rather than "pulling them together")... Of course - not viewing it in the ERS terms opens up a can of other issues (i.e. what do we know about it then - other than they are "to spread")...

Either way... Didn't mean to start an "issue" (and I have no problem whatsoever with people using short spreaders). However, on second thought - it might be something that should be ironed out now when there's an opportunity (?)...

Cheers,

Marko
Marko Majic
CAN 16